logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eliot Hochberg  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2022 3:42:31 AM(UTC)
Eliot Hochberg

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I double checked, and it looks like vMix hasn't added any kind of marker feature to the software, and I know a lot of folks would like this. I know I did. And now, I have something!

First, the theory:

Back in the day, before digital timecode lock, there were systems that would add an audio track with a timecode clock in it. By sending this to all cameras, you could sync them up perfectly using this audio in post.

That got me thinking: could I put an audio pulse into additional audio tracks in my recording?

It took a few years to get to it, but I've finally done it, and here's how it works:

1) Find some kind of audio file that is a pulse. Could be a clap, snap, tone. I used a mouse click. All that matters is that it makes a spike in your audio, just like a sync clap would.

2) In vMix, import the clip and set it to output on alternate audio channels. I set mine to buss B, I think. It doesn't matter, but what's important is that the clip audio doesn't go into your master audio buss, otherwise the click will show up in your main audio.

3) Now, in the audio mixer, set the buss you chose to any channel(s) you're not using for your main mix. My main channels are 1 and 2, so I used 3 & 4.

4) Set your video to record more than two audio channels. For me, I am using an external recorder (so I don't have to wait for file transfers when I take the video home for post; I use the internal recording as a backup). I have an Atomos Inferno, and set it to record four audio channels. I assume there is a way to do this internally in vMix for local recordings, as well. Otherwise, you may have to run two recordings at the same time, routing the appropriate content to each file, then syncing later.

5) I then have a shortcut tied to that clip, so I can hit a key (I use a control surface, but this can work with a regular keyboard), and then the clip will play in the alt audio channels, which creates a reference spike!

Now, every time something happens that I want to mark, I just hit that key. Obviously, it can't mark exactly where the event happens, it will always be a little after, but that's enough to help me find it! And, if you wanted different kinds of marks, you could load in different clips, possibly with different audio levels to make the difference easier to see, and then you could do all sorts of marking!

Anyway, I hope that's helpful or at least interesting!
thanks 1 user thanked Eliot Hochberg for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 11/30/2022(UTC)
doggy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2022 4:05:32 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 913 time(s) in 752 post(s)
Nice

Guess the "WriteDurationToRecordingLog" function was not suited for your goal?
nikosman88  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2022 6:28:28 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello. I was also searching for a way to do this and i found this script https://github.com/rse/v.../master/recording-log.md
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Nice

Guess the "WriteDurationToRecordingLog" function was not suited for your goal?

Vmix internal shortcut works ok for simple recordings but if you do multicorder doesnt work. The script works also with multicorder and as bonus you can enter optionally a message for every marker you put
Eliot Hochberg  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2022 10:58:30 AM(UTC)
Eliot Hochberg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I researched the built in features, but there were problems.

The first is that none of the possible features were easy to implement. If I have to code/script something for a service to work, that is beyond my desire to learn, or to afford to pay someone to implement, for the requirements of my need.

The next issue is that I wanted it to be easy in my workflow. That is, I didn't want to significantly change my recording methods and post editing to access the markers. If I'm understanding correctly, my post software would need to support the vMix log file format, or else I would have to add a step to somehow convert or import the log file to merge into Premiere. Since I have maybe 5-10 marks in 2 hours of recording, that seems like a lot of extra effort.

Finally, in my workflow, I record my footage to an external system. The main reason is that once the recording is complete, I'm ready to go. I don't have to wait 20-40 minutes for a file to transfer to an external drive in order to then bring it to my offsite editing suite. Instead, I just stop the external recorder and pull the card. Ready to go. I use vMix's internal recorder only as a backup, which should answer why I don't record to a portable drive. And I could multicord, but on my system that causes the fans to kick on, which is not desirable (plus it's not so redundant if both recordings are on the same device). So, with all that as part of my needs, I would need the marking system to provide a marker into my external recorder. AFAIK, there is no way for vMix to include any info through an HDMI or SDI output to an Atomos recorder.

As a result, adding two additional audio tracks (or one, but two was easier) to the workflow solved all of these needs. It was fairly easy to implement; it's compatible with Adobe Premiere; and it "writes" to the Atomos recorder.

I'm sure that someone who can program or who is fully versed in the vMix API could come up with a different workflow that could work. However, that seems like overkill when this method works, and is pretty slick.

I remain proud of my accomplishment :^)

Hopefully also it will help others in a similar situation.
thanks 1 user thanked Eliot Hochberg for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 12/11/2022(UTC)
nikosman88  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2022 10:25:23 PM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Yes if you want to import your marks into your editing programm your solution is perfect. Vmix log via script doesnt do that it simply writes the marks you put in a txt file and then you can check it for the editing. As mentioned vmix internally can record multichannel audio (master + 2 channels per bus) and your trick will work ok. If you want to multicord then you have also to do a record because multicorder writes only master or input audio and not busses.