logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VideoE  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2022 11:02:41 AM(UTC)
VideoE

Groups: Registered
United States

Possible sync/delay issues with a router...??
I was recently at a studio that used vMix on a laptop as its production switcher, being fed sdi via thunderbolt 3 with an AJA I|O box. With 1 of 4 connectors being used for Pgm out that left 3 to feed vMix. So whoever engineered the studio, (and was not present when I setup for a project), used a 20x20 BM router to expand the number of possible sdi inputs that could feed the AJA. A Streamdeck controller with Companion software then switches both the upstream router and the AJA I|O connector that vMix uses.

I've done this with my ATEM Production 4k because the ATEM will cleanly switch sources. But it seems like using the router, which wasn't designed for clean switching would run into sync issues, glitching etc. Any thoughts on using the router as an upstream switcher?

FWIW, I bypassed the router for this project so never experienced how well the setup would work.
Peter1000  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2022 2:44:02 PM(UTC)
Peter1000

Switzerland

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 54 post(s)
we have a few 20x20 BM routers, the do not switch clean, that means they switch somewhere but not in the vertical blanking interval. this is also a reason, why they are so cheap.
so your input has to synchonize your signal every time new, if you change a source, this needs at least 2 frames time and the image will flicker/roll.
only the 12x12 model switches clean, funnywise the name of this, a little more expensive, product is cleanswitch :-)
i did not checked the actual BM router line, our models are a few years old.
VideoE  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2022 1:37:08 AM(UTC)
VideoE

United States

Thanks Peter. You confirmed my suspicions. My one idea of a workaround was to set a 35ms delay in Companion between the command to switch the router and then switch the source in vMix. Don't currently have access to the gear to find out.