logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mpeveto1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2022 10:39:16 PM(UTC)
mpeveto1

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I shoot two one-hour bi-monthly interview shows (two-person talking heads / not live). I live in Houston but travel weekly to Austin and Nashville. I shoot in Canon Raw on (3) Canon XC-10s' and (2) Canon C-100s. I record on a Tascam 4 channel recorder. I tape the show on SD cards. When I get back to Houston I download the files to Adobe Premiere and begin the edit. I would like to use Vmix versus switching to Blackmagic products. I'm assuming with the pro version I can iso record all cameras and color grades within VMIX. With that said, is there an external PCI graphic card I can use with my laptop for a 4 or 5 camera shoot, or a small/portable CPU I can carry with me? Any additional recommendations regarding my workflow relative to VMIX would be great.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2022 9:01:23 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mpeveto1

You will certainly want to experiment and test the workflow to verify that it meets your expectations.
Needed:
- vMix 4K or above
- Thunderbolt 3/4 laptop (https://www.vmix.com/products/vmix-reference-systems.aspx#sapphire)
- Supported Sonnet/Magma/Akitio Thunderbolt Enclosure with supported capture card or AJA I/O 4K Plus for at least 4 Camera Capture (https://www.vmix.com/software/supported-hardware.aspx#capturehardware)

Ice
mpeveto1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2022 9:33:30 PM(UTC)
mpeveto1

Man
United States

What I hear you saying is the easiest and most mobile solution is utilizing my THUNDERBOLT 3/4 LAPTOP and an AJA I/0 4K PLUS with a (supported) CAPTURE CARD? Correct me if I am wrong but I could build a computer cheaper than the laptop option that will probably perform better than the laptop. Of course, I will now need to carry around a small computer tower..., ETC... thank you again for your help. Thank you and a triple thank you!
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2022 8:43:36 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mpeveto

The AJA I/O 4K Plus is a Thunderbolt Capture device.
Sonnet, Magma and Akitio make External Thunderbolt Enclosures with PCIe slots that you can plug a supported Capture Device into.
YES, you can likely build a "more powerful" desktop for slightly less money than a high end gaming laptop, but such is the price for "convenience".

Ice