logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
curiousgeorge  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2022 5:43:44 PM(UTC)
curiousgeorge

Groups: Registered
United States

I am trying to color grade my pocket 4k for live streaming and I can't figure this out.

here is the gear I'm working with:

-POCKET 4K
-ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL
-Dell Alienware PC
-ATEM MINI PRO ISO
-2 SAMSUNG 4K COMPUTER MONITORS
-VMIX

I've been 2 weeks down rabbit holes trying to figure this out.

I am trying to determine the actual best source to be color grading from.

Here are the places I seem to be able to color grade:

-I can color grade the Pocket 4K by adding a LUT on the camera
-I can color grade the Pocket 4K with ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL
-I can color grade the Pocket 4KV with VMIX
-I can color grade the Pocket 4K with Black Magic Iphone APP

It seems like all of these sources are fighting each other and I can't figure out how to get them to play nicely together.

ASSUMPTIONS:

I assume that the source is POCKET 4K, and if I apply a LUT inside of the camera, and BAKE the LUT into the HDMI output monitor (what I am seeing) and BAKE THE LUT into the actual BRAW recording as well.

QUESTIONS:

1. When I load up a LUT in the pocket 4K, and select to BAKE the LUT into both the recording and the HDMI output monitor, and then I look on my ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL PANEL, I see that the settings are not the same, for example, the lift and everything is completely off, and, then I look on the BLACK MAGIC IPHONE APP and the settings are ALSO completely off. Is there supposed to be some continuity here? Can someone explain how this is typically supposed to work?

2. Is the Black Magic Iphone APP WHITE BALANCE over riding the WHITE BALANCE of the LUT? (the audio settings are completely wrong always)

3. Is the Black Magic Iphone APP WHITE BALANCE overriding the WHITE BALANCE of the ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL?

4. How do I reset the ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING and SIMPLY TRANSMIT THE LUT GRADED SIGNAL? Pressing RESET 100 times on those ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL reset buttons does nothing to the slider, it stayed pegged at the very top. Also, changing the white balance to 3200K on the APP, does NOT change the white balance on the ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL. Why is that? Am I supposed to guess which one has the control?

5. How do I verify that the signal going from the ATEM MINI PRO ISO into the VMIX Software remains same as original LUT settings on pocket 4k?

6. Is there a way to prevent VMIX from messing with the color grading?

7. Is there any scientific process for testing the signal as it makes it way from the pocket 4k into the ATEM SOFTWARE CONTROL and into the VMIX ? to see if it is the same as the source (Pocket 4K) ?

lamboht  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2023 6:54:09 AM(UTC)
lamboht

Groups: Registered
United States

Did you ever sort it out ? I'm also trying to sort out the right priority when it comes to making adjustments. Do you leave the camera on manual for everything and make all adjustments in the vMix software for white balance and color correction or do you first optimize the camera as much as possible and then move to vMix ?