logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alanimedia  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2022 5:22:57 AM(UTC)
alanimedia

Groups: Registered
United States

I'll be streaming a live event from a remote location with a bonded internet solution next month. I'll have 2-3 cameras that I'll want to capture and incorporate as a vMix Replay workflow into my stream.

I'm new to Instant Replay so I think there are some gaps in my knowledge and haven't found an a good detailed explanation/solution for vmix anywhere online.

From my understanding, I generally have 2 options for this:

Option 1. TD and Replay Op on same computer.
This seem seems manageable with a separate replay controller and separate monitor, but having to share mouse and keyboard seems like a bit of a headache if we want to create highlights, export clips, and do any advanced stuff within any of the menu systems of replay or switching. This seems like best option for one man band operation.

Option 2. Separate vMix machine dedicated to Replay
I know this would require an additional license. This solution seems the best for managing the replays with dedicated op, but my knowledge slips considerably here.
- What's the best way to get the live camera inputs into both the replay machine and the switching/streaming machine if NDI isn't an option? Is this a hardware solution?
- Likewise, once I have camera inputs in vMix Replay, what's the best way to send an event to the switching PC if NDI isn't a good option? Is this just via utilizing an output from the PCs graphics card into an input on the switching PCs capture card?
- I know there are auto triggers, like stingers and auto-switching back to preview, if utilizing same machine for switching and replay, but all of this would just be queued and timed manually with TD and Replay Op if they are one separate machines, correct?

If anyone has a workflow environment they'd care to elaborate that is using two machines without NDI I'd love to hear about it. If someone has done this with bonded internet to broadcast in the field, then I'd be super interested to hear what that looks like as well!

Thanks!
Radiotvpat1982  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2022 10:19:33 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Option 1 is pretty easy if you are using devoted control surfaces. The replay op really needs the keyboard and mouse available since they will likely want to tag replay files. The other nice thing about the machine is you can streamline some things by using shortcuts, triggers, and scripting.

Option 2 should really be thought of as 2 entirely different machines. You would need to connect them and operate them both in a standalone fashion. For example if you needed an A & B output you actually need 2 physical outputs in the machine. On the input side you would need to have a router or DA on cameras since you would need a camera to connect to both the switcher and the replay machine independently. Using NDI would solve those challenges.

Is there a specific challenge or concern you have for either option?