logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rickerev  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 4:33:05 AM(UTC)
rickerev

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello all.
my first time posting here, and I've searched through the forums but haven't seen my issue exactly.

Our church purchased VMIX about 18 months ago, and it's worked well for us for the most part.
But one of the main consistent problems that we have is that the audio will randomly drop out, mid-livestream, and we won't be able to get it back unless we shut down the computer, restart the process of setting up a livestream through Facebook.

Last night, the audio dropped out right in the middle of a worship service. The person running it didn't notice until someone watching on Facebook made a comment. So he went through the process of starting over again. This time, we couldn't get it back. So the second part of the worship service after the re-start has ZERO audio, 40 minutes worth.

https://fb.watch/bLfatDfxGI/
the dropout occurs at 12:54...though 2X before it is silenced, you can hear a little hiccup in the sound, within a minute prior to the 12:54 mark.

Dropout has happened before. Then we'll go a month without any issues. and then we relax and don't think about it or worry about it for a while. And then it happens again like it did last night.
It's frustrating because people get frustrated with us for a poor livestream, and then we'll lose them. We certainly want those who can't join us in person to not miss out on our worship services.
finally decided to ask.

So, here are some questions:

does anyone else have this same problem?

If you do, is this a vmix problem? a Facebook problem? a hardware problem?

Are there any suggestions as to what I can be looking for to help isolate and even prevent the problem from happening?

We have a dell laptop, Vostro Notebook 7500, with some of the following hardware:
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
16GB (8GB onboard + 8GBx1 SODIMM), DDR4, 2933MHz
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H (12MB Cache, up to 5.0 GHz, 6 cores)

Running the latest vMix (always allow for updates)

running the sound mix from an Allen & Heath SQ6 through a Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett audio interface, into the computer.

video is coming from a PTZ camera, but the audio is not running through the camera.

I also know we are using a thunderbolt dock to allow for network connectivity, since the Vostro doesn't have a network port, but the dock plugs into the Vostro through a usb-c cable. since I'm not right there looking at it, I'd have to recheck to see what we are running through there. I know we're NOT running NDI but do have an output from the projection computer so we can incorporate lyrics into the livestream through an adapter that's plugged into the dock.

Anyway,

any ideas or suggestions?
any help or direction is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much.
Sincerely,
Rick
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 5:59:45 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
thanks 1 user thanked dmwkr for this useful post.
rickerev on 3/15/2022(UTC)
rickerev  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2022 12:46:55 PM(UTC)
rickerev

United States

Thanks - I'll check out these suggestions and see if they make a difference!
rickerev  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 21, 2022 1:07:21 PM(UTC)
rickerev

United States

well, I followed the advice that was given.
but we are still having drop outs that require us restarting everything before we can get it going again.
it's been three months since I posted here, but it's so frustrating it almost seems like we have to learn to just live with it? But since it happens frequently, we're worried we're losing people who just give up and watch something else.

we've also tried not routing everything through the OWC usb-c dock.
I think I read somewhere that sometimes focus rite audio interfaces are known to drop out on occasion when it comes to interacting with windows 10.
So we may have to try to opt for another brand of audio interface.

if there are yet any other possible solutions, I'd love to hear them.
otherwise, I keep soldiering on.
thanks.

Rick
rickerev  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2022 1:47:57 AM(UTC)
rickerev

United States

well, I just wanted to provide a hopeful update.

In another post I did read it's possible that the focus-rite audio interface was, in some instances, the culprit and would cause audio drop outs.

So, I bought and installed a Behrenger audio interface.

So far....SO FAR!.... no dropouts!!! at all for Three weeks!

I'm hoping that that was the solution that was needed and will continue to bless us.

Always fun to try and isolate an intermittent issue.

thanks again.

Sincerely
Rick
SpinStream  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2024 4:11:14 AM(UTC)
SpinStream

United States

I was wondering if there was any follow-on to this problem. We have been using vMix with a Behringer UMC404HD for almost 4 years and never had any issues with it. Then just a couple of month ago we started loosing the connection to the Behringer mid-service. Similar to what is described here, this will happen, then we will go 3+ weeks without a recurrent--just enough to make you think the problem has gone away.

Per a ticket response from vMix support, we disabled power management on all of the USB ports as described by dmwkr above (from 2 years ago).

We tried replacing with a Focurite and still had the same issue; but... with the Focusrite we couldn't get back audio without a full PC reboot.

I full believe this is a problem with vMix because you can go into the sound applet and it will still show incoming sound on the single-line VU inidcator but vMix shows no input--entirely mute.

Windows 10 Pro Build 19045
Pro Z690A Wifi DDR4 motherboard
32 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

Thanks for any information

rickerev  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 3:36:47 AM(UTC)
rickerev

United States

Hello....
I started this post when I was pastoring a different church, and found that moving to the Behringer didn't cause the audio interruptions that the focus-rite did.

Since then I've moved on from that congregation, and so while I know they've had a few glitches here and there over the last year, I think it's held steady.

I would probably avoid the focus-rite. perhaps experiment with various other audio interfaces?
Sorry, don't know what else to say.

Best wishes with your experimentation on this. IT's a frustrating thing to deal with such intermittent issues.

Sincerely,
Rick
AdminMedia  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2024 10:48:49 AM(UTC)
AdminMedia

United States

I am using a Scarlett and started having the problem when I upgraded vmix. My older version works fine, but the new version on a new computer is having a drop. I have disabled the USB settings as suggested, but the problem persists. Is anyone else have this problem??
nikosman88  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2024 11:15:29 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Maybe not related to your problem but i had this problem with analog 3,5mm jack and usb zoom ams-44 interface. The problem in my case was the static electricity that somehow interfered with the audio. For example if i accidentally touched my pc case or my monitor my audio dropped out from vmix! In windows i continue to have audio normal but i needed to restart vmix to get audio back.
When i touched the case or the monitor i felt the static electricity. So our electrician guy fixed it and now i have no drops anymore
SpinStream  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2024 1:33:14 AM(UTC)
SpinStream

United States

This may not be truly helpful, but my streaming group went through a very difficult learning process involving loss of audio. This happened with a Behringer UMC404HD AND a Faocurite Scarlet 4i4 #rd Gen. After weeks of unexpected total audio loss events, we notcied one was concurrent with when our music director began to clap. After noticing this, we were able to reproduce the audio loss with our own clapping, we opened a ticket with vMix support. Ultimately they identified that Spybot Search and Destroy had been loaded on the stream PC around the time the problem began to surface. We ended up removing Spybot and clapped as much and loud as we could, and could no longer reproduce the problem. It's now been weeks with no more audio interreuptions.