logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mayhem1421x  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 1:59:58 PM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

Groups: Registered

Hello there, getting back into recording/streaming and am having a huge brain freeze on this one. I've used vMix before but for the life of me, I cannot remember how to separate audio tracks. I'm running Virtual Cables A-D, one for Mic, Game Sound, Browser, and Music. I did it before but can't remember. The latest version of vMix as well.
mtone  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 2:59:07 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
if i understand you correctly... wouldnt you just add 4x audio inputs using a different driver as the input for each one ? i havent used that virtual cable software though so maybe its different ?
Mayhem1421x  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 3:38:32 PM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

Yeah, that's how it's set up. But I'm still getting combined audio in single tracks. Pulling my hair out lol. I would assume vMix would be recognizing each cable as a single input. But like I said it's still combining. So when I import into Resolve I'll have 4 audio tracks with 2 duplicates of the combined audio.
dmwkr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:10:08 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Route the inputs each to a single bus, and choose the busses in the recording settings. Use AVI or WAV for recording more than two channels.

https://www.vmix.com/hel...OutputAudioChannels.html
mtone  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 5:25:31 PM(UTC)
mtone

sounds like its a setting in the virtual cable.. i would try other software like Reaper and see if its does the same thing.. if so that would suggest its a VAC setting..
Mayhem1421x  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 6:12:51 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
sounds like its a setting in the virtual cable.. i would try other software like Reaper and see if its does the same thing.. if so that would suggest its a VAC setting..

Nah, there are no settings. Virtual Cables are just that. One cable per source.
Mayhem1421x  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 6:14:02 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post
Route the inputs each to a single bus, and choose the busses in the recording settings. Use AVI or WAV for recording more than two channels.

https://www.vmix.com/hel...OutputAudioChannels.html

Yeah, I've gone over that. And still no joy. So I'm definitely not doing something right. Still going to grind at it till I get it right.
dmwkr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 6:43:46 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

So, you have 4 single audio inputs, right? Have you enabled at least 4 audio busses in the Audio Output (A-D) settings? In the audio mixer then send Mic input to Bus A, Game sound to Bus B, etc. Every input you want in a separate channel to its own bus. Then use the recording settings as mentioned above.
Mayhem1421x  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 9:15:55 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

So, you have 4 single audio inputs, right? Have you enabled at least 4 audio busses in the Audio Output (A-D) settings? In the audio mixer then send Mic input to Bus A, Game sound to Bus B, etc. Every input you want in a separate channel to its own bus. Then use the recording settings as mentioned above.

I figured it out, at least a way for me to get it to work. Still brushing up on vMix again. Though I do need to clean up the duplicate tracks in Resolve. Next is to figure out why they're duplicating lol. At least it works the way I need now.

Settings as follows:

Recording:
Audio: MAB
WAV File Record

Inputs:
Virtual Cable A - Game Audio -----> vMix Audio - Bus A
Virtual Cable B - Music -----> vMix Audio - Bus B
A/B ----> Master

Just need to set up the Microphone and anything else I need. Any ideas on how to streamline it? or I did good?

Appreciate all the help!

dmwkr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 9:52:59 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

What vMix version are you using? More audio busses (C-G) were introduced in vMix 23. An upgrade for $60 is a good investment.

Instead of using more busses you can also use the Audio Matrix in the Inputs' audio settings to route your virtual cable inputs to left and right channels of the busses. (Only mono audio, of course.)

- All inputs directly to Bus M, so your stream output has all inputs on left and right channel
Additionally for your recording, for example:
- Game Audio to Bus A left channel
- Mic to Bus A right channel
- Music to Bus B left channel
- Browser to Bus B right channel
- Don't route A/B to Master!

Edit: That's also why you have double tracks in Resolve... L/R channels of the busses.
mtone  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 10:41:12 AM(UTC)
mtone

Originally Posted by: Mayhem1421x Go to Quoted Post

Nah, there are no settings. Virtual Cables are just that. One cable per source.

OK.. when you said "separate audio tracks" i thought you were adding single audio inputs in vMix which had all four audio sources from the virtual cable merged together on each input even while monitoring.. which sounded odd, like a setting or bug in the VAC.

if you are talking about separating audio for the recording then its down to buss routing and making sure the 4 inputs dont get mixed together in vMix before the recording as others have said..
Mayhem1421x  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2022 11:09:17 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

What vMix version are you using? More audio busses (C-G) were introduced in vMix 23. An upgrade for $60 is a good investment.

Instead of using more busses you can also use the Audio Matrix in the Inputs' audio settings to route your virtual cable inputs to left and right channels of the busses. (Only mono audio, of course.)

- All inputs directly to Bus M, so your stream output has all inputs on left and right channel

Edit: That's also why you have double tracks in Resolve... L/R channels of the busses.

Yeah, I realized the shortcomings of how I had it set up fast lol. Going to follow your instructions and see what happens. Thanks again!
Mayhem1421x  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2022 6:46:04 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

Finally got things straight, or so I think. One thing though. Volume levels across Buses A-D are so low. Even with system/app volume maxed. When I turn up the busses volume levels I basically get a nasty echo when going past say 15%-20%'ish. I can add 5db of gain through bus audio settings and it becomes acceptable and I can back down on the slider if needed. Not sending to the Master output as I just end up removing the audio tracks from Resolve as I don't need signals combined. So that's what I have so far. Attached are a few screenshots of how things are set up.

1_main_view.png (84kb) downloaded 2 time(s). 3_audioauxbusses_view.png (36kb) downloaded 2 time(s). 2_audiosettings_view.png (110kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
mtone  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2022 8:16:45 AM(UTC)
mtone

do you need the buss outputs going back to the cable ? that is probably the source of the echo and volume problems..
Mayhem1421x  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2022 12:47:28 PM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

do you need the buss outputs going back to the cable ? that is probably the source of the echo and volume problems..

Can you explain further? If the setup is odd. What do you see? I basically started with blank settings etc reading the manual regarding outputs, mixer matrix etc. Till I got what I needed. Still getting my feet wet again with the product. If there's something wrong let me know :) What do you mean by, "Going back to the cable"?
mtone  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2022 2:25:34 PM(UTC)
mtone

under "settings/audio outputs" you have selected buss A-D to be sent to "cable inputs A-D".. but then you also have cable A+B for game + music/browser as inputs in vMix being assigned to vMix busses A+B, which is being sent out to cable A+B.. so (depending on how that cable software works) there is potentially a feedback loop on those two busses..

if you are just trying to record then i dont think the busses need to be assigned to outputs, if you select the option "enabled" i that should still work.. im not 100% but worth a go..
Mayhem1421x  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:25:45 AM(UTC)
Mayhem1421x

under "settings/audio outputs" you have selected buss A-D to be sent to "cable inputs A-D".. but then you also have cable A+B for game + music/browser as inputs in vMix being assigned to vMix busses A+B, which is being sent out to cable A+B.. so (depending on how that cable software works) there is potentially a feedback loop on those two busses..

if you are just trying to record then i dont think the busses need to be assigned to outputs, if you select the option "enabled" i that should still work.. im not 100% but worth a go..

I hear ya, I'm doing a system wipe and starting from scratch. When I redo vMix I'll take what you said into consideration when I remake my presets.

Thx,
Joe W