logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EvilAsh80  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2022 12:10:49 AM(UTC)
EvilAsh80

Groups: Registered
Norway

Hi,

we use one Sonnet Echo Express SE1 with a Deckling Duo 2 and that works great. I was just wondering if it is possible to link two of these so that i get 8 inputs in vMix?
I have tried to link two Sonnets via Thunderbolt and in my Thunderbolt Manager on Acer Predator Triton 500 I can see both of the are connected (Two Sonnets appear) They are called exactly the same.
When I open vMix I still only get the option to add 4 inputs.. the usual 4.. is it possible to make the other Sonnet appear here as well or is that not possible?

Answers much appreciated!
paco3346  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2022 6:04:27 PM(UTC)
paco3346

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 31 post(s)
In theory this should be possible.

A few things to note:

• vMix doesn't know/care how the cards are hooked up. As long as they're visible on a system bus they should work
  • You may run into bandwidth limits depending on how you have your enclosures hooked up (daisy chained vs each having their own port)
  • The Decklink Duo 2 card is a PCIe 2 x4 card. This means it'll take roughly 16Gbps in bandwidth.

I'd recommend checking Windows Device Manager to see if both Decklink cards show up. If not then work on debugging that. If you see a message about 'device cannot start' it's likely you don't have enough bandwidth to run both cards on your Thunderbolt setup. From what I see online, your laptop has a single Thunderbolt 3 port (which gives ~40Gbps bandwidth). With 2 enclosures daisy chained and each card using up 16Gbps you're likely running out of bandwidth. (It's possible each enclosure tries to reserve a full PCIe 3.0 bandwidth even though the card only needs 2. That right there would definitely eat up your bandwidth).

I realize you probably already own the enclosures but I'd recommend finding an enclosure with 2 PCIe slots as the reduced overhead of only having a single enclosure may give you what you need.