logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dnapier248  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 12:33:25 AM(UTC)
dnapier248

Groups: Registered
United States

Good morning,

I have just joined the forum as I am keen to use V-mix for a long term project. I have read through the online content and I am not clear on a few points. I was hoping someone would be so kind to help me out:-

1) How many channels of NDI capture can V-mix record (lets assume I have the correct hardware) The spec sheet mentions only two built in recorders with the Pro version onwards is that referring to the max number of record channels?
2) further down in the spec documentation, the Instant replay refers to recording more than two channels?
3)Do I need to purchase any other licenses and or subscriptions to use the NDI codec?

I have tried emailing the V0mix support address but no response.

Thank you in advance.

Dan
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:51:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ dnapier248

1) Although the vMix MultiCorder feature in vMix 4K and above will allow you to record all NDI sources, it is not really supported or recommended by vMix as inconsistent timings can cause the recorder to stop and start repeatedly (which can be a nightmare to piece back together in editing software).
The "workaround" would be to use the NDI Tools Studio Monitor to record such feeds natively.
2) vMix Instant Replay is a different beast, it is a single recording in the vMix AVI format with up to 8 channels of video whereby you can play and export selected "clips" as per your wants or needs.
3) The NDI format is a proprietary protocol developed by NewTek but free to use (a clever marketing strategy I am sure). To this point in time, there are no additional licenses or subscriptions required, and I suspect it will stay that way, but it wouldn't surprise me if some future "advanced" features have a "cost" associated with them (just my opinion).

Ice
renpro  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2022 6:44:28 AM(UTC)
renpro

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: dnapier248 Go to Quoted Post
Good morning,

I have just joined the forum as I am keen to use V-mix for a long term project. I have read through the online content and I am not clear on a few points. I was hoping someone would be so kind to help me out:-

1) How many channels of NDI capture can V-mix record (lets assume I have the correct hardware) The spec sheet mentions only two built in recorders with the Pro version onwards is that referring to the max number of record channels?
2) further down in the spec documentation, the Instant replay refers to recording more than two channels?
3)Do I need to purchase any other licenses and or subscriptions to use the NDI codec?

I have tried emailing the V0mix support address but no response.

Thank you in advance.

Dan

Hello Dan,

(1) I have used vMixHD since 2015. We are a church and currently use up to 8 NDI captures with no problem. Only the vMix Basic license has a limit of 3 NDI inputs. All of the other versions support up to 1,000 inputs.

(2) I have not used instant replay. I plan to start a project soon will testing. Can't help you there.
(3) Regarding other cost related to NDI: I have purchased a $20.00 license from Newtek NDI/HX used on tablets. The quality is great and with good features for a stationary device. Missing remote control. A month ago I purchased two MEVO Start cameras ($325.00 each) that have NDI support. I can control the devices remotely and have little delay from NDI Wireless. I use for audience scan. BAD NEWS: I have experienced streaming dropped frames when switching to the MEVO Start NDI connected camera. Currently working on this with MEVO. Have not heard back from NewTek.

I will keep you posted.