logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
topherharris  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2022 10:47:30 AM(UTC)
topherharris

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The return feed we provide our vMix Call guests generally consists of a Multiview Input showing all the guests—so they can always see each other—plus a window for visuals/roll-ins (usually a list input or NDI feed from a graphics op).

Is there a solution to show Tally on the vMix Call return feed, without having to distribute vMix Tally links? (Our clients are often top-level folks who are often either not technically savvy and/or don’t like to do anything extra beyond following the one vMix Call link)

Here's how I solved my problem until I know of another/better way to do it:
1. I added each guest's Tally link as a Web Browser input with one edit: I replace the “local” IP address vMix shows in Settings / Web Controller with “127.0.0.1” - That way, it continues to work if I use this setup on another computer or my AWS IP address changes.
2. For each vMix Call input (usually Inputs 1-8), I "Create Virtual Input" and add each guest's Tally Web Browser input to two layers in their Virtual Input's Multi View.
3. I crop one Tally layer so 50 pixels would appear on the right, and cropped the other Tally layer so 50 pixels would appear on the left.
4. On their Multiview input, I show their Virtual Inputs that includes the Tally layers.

It works, the guests are happy to know when they are “on air,” and I don’t have to distribute Tally links. Since I keep my vMix Call URLs the same, I only have to set this up once. However, if I have to change vMix Call URLs, I also have to update the Web Browser input for each caller I change. This can be a huge time suck.

1. Is there a better or easier way to do this? Besides the chore, I worry adding all these extra inputs—Web Browser inputs for each guest—seems like it would taxing to the system, but my system has been running fine.
2. Can you send Tally back to each vMix Call input regardless of Video Source I assign to them? As in, a tally indicator that adds a border to the entire screen?
3. Can Tally be added to the border of the vMix Call Camera Preview the user sees in their browser? (Which ironically is already red…regardless of being “on air” or not.)

I suppose 2 & 3 would be a "feature request" assuming they don't already exist.

-topher

P.S. For those of you who say, “Why don’t you just show them the Program feed”? We work with non-TV types who are scientists and engineers and have been burned too many times by guest being distracted by the Program feed or stopping their presentations when they don’t like an editorial decision. So, we no longer show them the Program feed.
thanks 1 user thanked topherharris for this useful post.
SoundMagic on 2/12/2022(UTC)
WaydeTheKiwi  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2022 4:54:40 PM(UTC)
WaydeTheKiwi

Groups: Registered
Canada

you could create a trigger within each vmix call input that when taken to program, turns on layer on your multiview return with a "red dot" png over that persons "feed", then turns the layer off when not live.