logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltG12  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 6:11:49 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Inspired partially by this thread & partially by my own experiences with this behavior, it'd be great to get a checkbox/toggle option when setting up Triggers that will allow the trigger to fire even when the input isn't in the main program output, especially with regard to video inputs.

This would be helpful with both the Mix 2-4 situation discussed in the linked thread, as well as when videos are playing in MultiView layers.

While it makes sense, as noted in the linked thread & elsewhere, that both the Mix 2-4 & MultiView Layer situation defaults to the current state of things (and I still suggest keeping it as the default), it would be helpful to have this option for those times when we've thought through the implications, have no conflicts (only use the video in a MultiView layer or Mix input, for example) & want to use the triggers as intended--to simplify a workflow that would otherwise require manual attention/intervention at a time when that attention/intervention may needed elsewhere in the program.

I, for example, would never be able to cut away from a Multiview with a video in it or cut away from a video in a Mix input at the video's conclusion as cleanly as a trigger can, even if it's the only thing on my plate.

Scripts probably can, but they can be a bit messy to set up compared to Triggers, with everything needing to be just so & there being no GUI selection for options. Not to mention that most (all?) scripts are built on running/repeating at specified intervals & only firing within those intervals, so it still has the possibility of very being slightly off, while Triggers are near instantaneous, not to mention the CPU load implications of scripting that aren't present (in my experience) with Triggers.

As a default, the default works perfectly, but it'd be great to get the option for a bit more flexibility for cases where the pitfalls don't apply. A checkbox/toggle for the behavior (defaulted to Mix 1, Main Program Output only, unless specifically changed/enabled) would be a good way to go about this.