logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alan L  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2022 3:42:45 AM(UTC)
Alan L

Groups: Registered
United States

I run vMix with PTZOptic cameras and Magewell HDMI to NDI with no issues. My audio is noisy because I have to run 4 channel analog audio snake through 30' section of Cat6 with Radial XLR adapter going into my Presonus USB audio interface. The audio is coming from an analog PA system so no mixing is needed on the feed to our vMix system. I was thinking of getting one of the following audio Dante interfaces to capture the signal and route to vMix through Dante Virtual Sound Card. Has anyone had success with this? I am hoping I don't need any other receiver on my end with the vMix PC. I was looking at the RDL RU-MLB4P or the Tascam MM-4D.

My other option is using a Blackmagic CONVMCAUDS2 Audio to SDI Mini Converter and embed the four channels with one of my camera signals.

If no one has the answer, I may be the test subject.
Thanks,
Alan
mtone  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2022 9:33:05 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
i havent personally used Dante with the virtual soundcard but ive heard good reports from others.. if your audio from the PA is already mixed do you need it to be a 4 channel converter ? Audinate make their own adapters which are stereo XLR and might be cheaper option..

something else to keep in mind... if you do need four channels and you used SDI, im not sure you can seperate those four channels as independent mono inside vMix ? someone in another thread was asking about this, maybe its possible but if its not then you have more limited control.. you may not be able to do stuff like add VST plugins to each channel etc..
WaltG12  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2022 9:23:37 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
im not sure you can seperate those four channels as independent mono inside vMix ?

vMix doesn't use Mono buses (see: this Feature Request), so each would need a Stereo bus, but using the Channel Matrix, it should definitely possible to separate the channels out to the separate buses if you have the buses available.

If you're thinking of the thread I think you are, the issue wasn't that they couldn't separate them out--it was that they had more channels than there were buses & they wanted a way to do it without tying up all of their audio buses.
Babbit  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2022 1:37:40 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
30 feet isn't really a big ask. I've used XLR to CAT adapters on longer runs with no problems.

Are you using shielded CAT cable? Without the shield present, you're essentially running unbalanced audio since that shield carries pin 1 of all four XLR connectors.
Chap  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2022 2:44:33 AM(UTC)
Chap

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alan L Go to Quoted Post

My other option is using a Blackmagic CONVMCAUDS2 Audio to SDI Mini Converter and embed the four channels with one of my camera signals.

Recommended solution. This solution is working great.

https://youtu.be/lo8doTIS0F0?t=880
Alan L  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 4:30:04 AM(UTC)
Alan L

United States

I installed a Tascam MM-4D with XLR in using Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS). It seems that vMix can't record all 4 tracks separately or as two stereo wav pairs or as a 4 channel audio file. Unless I am missing something. I can mix as two stereo pairs into vMix to the master stereo. If I switch to 4 mono inputs from DVS into vMix, the audio slows in half and is long (my voice came through an octave lower in pitch with significant delay). I did reduce the Tascam bit depth to 16, keeping it at 48k.

I can use Tracks Live by Waves separately and record all 4 tracks individually.
mtone  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 8:28:14 AM(UTC)
mtone

Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post

vMix doesn't use Mono buses (see: this Feature Request), so each would need a Stereo bus, but using the Channel Matrix, it should definitely possible to separate the channels out to the separate buses if you have the buses available.

yes but using busses to separate a 4 channel input into separate channels is not a sensible use of busses in the first place.. the 4 channel source should be separated before the busses so you can use busses for normal purposes.. the problem is if you have a muxed input with 4 audio channels you cant apply vst fx to only the channel 3 audio in the source ? using busses to demux the input is a hack solution..

ideally you want to separate the 4 channel input to separate mono channels at the source in vMix (or use a hardware device before vMix) then you can apply FX and EQ to each of the channels and still be able to route them to busses for other grouping and output etc.

Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post

If you're thinking of the thread I think you are, the issue wasn't that they couldn't separate them out--it was that they had more channels than there were buses & they wanted a way to do it without tying up all of their audio buses.

my reference to that thread was to indicate how you dont have independant control without needing to separate the audio first, but i realize he was happy to use busses for that purpose and just didnt have enough of them..
mtone  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2022 2:45:38 PM(UTC)
mtone

Originally Posted by: Alan L Go to Quoted Post
I installed a Tascam MM-4D with XLR in using Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS). It seems that vMix can't record all 4 tracks separately or as two stereo wav pairs or as a 4 channel audio file. Unless I am missing something. I can mix as two stereo pairs into vMix to the master stereo. If I switch to 4 mono inputs from DVS into vMix, the audio slows in half and is long (my voice came through an octave lower in pitch with significant delay). I did reduce the Tascam bit depth to 16, keeping it at 48k.

I can use Tracks Live by Waves separately and record all 4 tracks individually.

so as 2x stereo input in vMix it works ok but as 4x mono it lowers the pitch ? that might be a problem with how vMix handles channels/sample rates.. is there an option to change the 4x mono to 96khz in DVS ? that is not the right solution ultimately but maybe it will help get a better idea where the problem lies ? also is there anything in DVS which refers to "interleaved" or "non interleaved" if so try changing those settings and see if it works..

I would also try another program like Reaper or something and if (along with Tracks Live) it consistently works in other dedicated audio applications it suggests something around vMix audio handling..