logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnnyBG  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 12:43:30 AM(UTC)
JohnnyBG

Groups: Registered

I have a vMix system that includes 3 PTZ cameras with HDMI. Those are connected to the computer with an HDMI capture card. I would like to add another camera, but it is too far to use HDMI and our capture card is maxed out, so am considering an NDI PTZ camera. The current cameras connect to a network switch via cat6 cable. If I get the NDI camera, how will it connect to vMix and show as an input?
Assume I will run a cat6 from the NDI camera to the switch, but then what?
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the network switch is a Gigabit PoE switch. The current cameras use the cat6 cable to power the cameras and control the IP joystick controller.
mgrayeb  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2022 2:39:11 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Make sure the NDI camera you are purchasing is compatible based on vMix's hardware compatibility list.

Then, presuming your network switch is connected to a local area network (e.g. a router that is providing internet service), you'll likely need to follow the instructions that come with the camera and temporarily change the IP settings of your computer to match the default subnet settings that the camera uses. That will enable your computer and camera to be on the same subnetwork and you'll be able to then log into the camera's web interface and assign a static IP address for the camera that is within the range of your Local Area Network. After you've done that, you'll change your computer's IP settings back to what they were initially.

Once you've done all of that, you should be able to add the camera as an NDI input from the list of input type choices in vMix.

The camera should come with instructions that walk you through the second paragraph above. You might also reach out to the camera manufacturer for support if you need it.