logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjmurdock  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:48:19 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've only been using vMix for a week now and I'm looking for an answer to this question. My previous software switcher allowed me to select which source I would like to use for my output for its streaming source. I can't seem to find that option in vMix, which seem to only use the Program out source by default.

I use a BMD ATEM switcher to handle all my camera switching, and I use vMix as my graphics, overlays, playback source into the ATEM switcher via the 2nd monitor output of my laptop. I record the output of the ATEM on a Atomos Ninja 2, and also send the output to my laptop via an AverMedia ExtremeCap U3 as a replay & streaming source. If I could stream this input directly to the vMix stream output, it allows me to use the vMix program out as a graphics/playback source into my ATEM. That's how I was able to configure my setup with my previous software switcher.

So is there a way to select an input source for the Stream output? If not, should I submit this capability as a feature request? Or is there another vMix configuration method I haven't considered yet?

RJ Murdock
www.EmeraldCoastTV.com
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:41:51 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi RJ,
Good to see you here too :)

I don't really understand your setup. But basically vMix does currently only support sending Output to the external/stream. But I have asked Martin if it would be possible to support multiple streams with different sources in the future, and he might already be thinking about it.

Meanwhile you could consider two workarounds.

1. Skip the ATEM switcher, have you tried that?

2. Make sure you get a pretty firm understanding Multiview, and of Fullscreens and External outputs (the two latter are complicated) and Settings/Output. Then maybe with a clever selection of sending a multiview Input with the graphics and overlays to Fullscreen (your second monitor the the ATEM), and sending your input from the ATEM to Output without any overlays as a clean feed for streaming.
rjmurdock  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:36:39 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Hey Richard,

Here is a graphical representation of how I was using VB before switching to vMix.

UserPostedImage

The reason I'm switching to vMix from VB is that VB on my i7-4700 laptop just could NOT provide me with a reliable instant replay and record capability. And from my first vMix experience of performing a LIVE broadcast of last Friday night's high school football "Game of the Week" ( www.EmeraldCoastTV.com/gotw ), even though vMix can handle the input from my ATEM, streaming the final output to my CDN, and record at the same time... the record quality of vMix can't match the quality I can record on my Atomos Ninja 2. With VB, I could select the source I wanted to stream and select a source I wanted to send to an output (scoreboard), thus allowing me to use VB more for presentation, overlay, and streaming support for my ATEM and allow my ATEM to handle to heavy lifting of switching multiple camera and video sources. Also, by removing the need to record within vMix, I have more system resources to add a second video source for Video Delay replay.

So with vMix, I would like the ability to preview my replay (Video Delay), overlays and video sources prior to sending them to the Output to my ATEM. If vMix stream configuration ONLY uses the Program Output as it's source, then this setup does not work.

However, there could be a configuration I haven't thought of yet, so I'm open for suggestions.

RJ Murdock
www.EmeraldCoastTV.com
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:58:15 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Ah! Very simple to fix RJ :)

Go to Settings, on the Output page select the desired Input for Recording/External.
As only the Inputs number are displayed you need to do a manual count on your screen to figure out which input you have your signal from the ATEM. (There are a couple of feature requests on replacing the numbers with other methods).

Also, note that if you change add/remove any Inputs you might stream the wrong input. So, to be on the safe side make it number one (1).

Have fun!
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
sinc747 on 9/30/2014(UTC), rjmurdock on 9/30/2014(UTC)
rjmurdock  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:51:17 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Thanks Richard, just what I was needing. Looking forward to utilizing more features of vMix.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:52:26 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Hmmm, I was just assuming that the audio streamed was the same (Main) no matter what source was selected for Recording/external. (did not try with audio).

How are you getting the audio into vMix from your ATEM's output?

There is a Feature request on Recording/External/External that might be related to your needs. But I assume you just want to work with ATEM's audio in to vMix and out to the stream, no other audio fix.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:35:28 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Just confirmed that the audio is included in the stream, even when Recording/External is set to something else than Output.

Basically:

a) if you get audio into vMix via HDMI from the ATEMs output:
For the Input you use, make sure the proper audio device is selected (under the Input's setting), and that its audio is enable (click Audio button on Input so it becomes active=green).

b) If you use an Audio Input
Enable its audio (green Audio button in the input).

- Under Settings/Audio, make sure Recording Audio is set to "vMix audio", and that "Automatically mix audio" is deselected (otherwise vMix might switch over to another Inputs audio when you Output it)

rjmurdock  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:53:15 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Thanks Richard. I deleted the original post about the audio when I went back and realize a "user" error when I muted the audio on my monitor, but used the same laptop to check the stream page. Doah! But I appreciate you looking into this, I'm sure someone else will find the info useful.

RJ Murdock
www.EmeraldCoastTV.com
Justin Hopp  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:49:21 PM(UTC)
Justin Hopp

Hey RJ I'm trying to do a similar set up with a a ATEM but I'm having trouble getting vmix back in to the ATEM. What settings are you using. Im using a intensity pro to input in to vmix and got that working, but I want to use my video card HDMI out back to the ATEM. I have my extended desktop showing up in ATEM I just can't get the vmix output to show up so was wondering what your setup was.
Thanks
Justin
ask  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2014 2:29:54 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Justin, you need to turn on Fullscreen to send to the other monitor. Set which monitor you wish to use for it in the Settings/Dispay/Display field