logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rodb  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2021 11:20:23 AM(UTC)
rodb

Groups: Registered
United States

vMix has become the center of our production, controlling PTZ cameras, images, text, automatic captions...

With that we have moved away from StreamDeck and just control the whole show with the multiview inputs.

However I want to be able to control some external devices (e.g. mute an input on the SQ-5 soundboard, or dim a light on a lighting controller). I have sparse and unskilled volunteer operators so automation helps make things smooth.

If I could output MIDI commands that are triggered by TransitionIn, then I can have full control of everything through just the vMix screen. An example is a multiview input defined for the pianist solo. The multiview handles IMAG and streaming (two different views), turning off captions, showing a brief title, controlling the PTZ, etc. If it could send MIDI commands to the audio board to unmute the piano mics and to the lighting controller to turn up the lighting then it is very easy for the operator.

We used a StreamDeck for a while but my volunteers are actually more comfortable just moving multiview inputs into preview and then fading them in, maybe because they can see the bigger thumbnails.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this now?
Roy Sinclair  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2021 5:58:03 AM(UTC)
Roy Sinclair

United States

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rodb Go to Quoted Post
vMix has become the center of our production, controlling PTZ cameras, images, text, automatic captions...

With that we have moved away from StreamDeck and just control the whole show with the multiview inputs.

However I want to be able to control some external devices (e.g. mute an input on the SQ-5 soundboard, or dim a light on a lighting controller). I have sparse and unskilled volunteer operators so automation helps make things smooth.

If I could output MIDI commands that are triggered by TransitionIn, then I can have full control of everything through just the vMix screen. An example is a multiview input defined for the pianist solo. The multiview handles IMAG and streaming (two different views), turning off captions, showing a brief title, controlling the PTZ, etc. If it could send MIDI commands to the audio board to unmute the piano mics and to the lighting controller to turn up the lighting then it is very easy for the operator.

We used a StreamDeck for a while but my volunteers are actually more comfortable just moving multiview inputs into preview and then fading them in, maybe because they can see the bigger thumbnails.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this now?

Scripting is probably your best bet. Of course scripting doesn't give you a direct API to use to send MIDI events but it DOES allow you to execute other programs and so you'll need a command line MIDI program like https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI that you can call from your script. So I suspect you need to write a script for each MIDI command or sequence of commands you need to send and then you can add trigger(s) to start whatever script(s) you need for each input.
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 9:31:57 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Could something like Central Control help do what you need? I know the goal is to stay inside vMix so this may be counter intuitive.