logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
calamityjane  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 9:51:28 AM(UTC)
calamityjane

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
First visit, please excuse any repetitious/dumb questions.

I currently use a Tricaster Studio to mix 3 cameras, all in SD. I send the output to another encoder for streaming (no choice, don't ask).

I have been offered a new encoder for streaming in HD but I would not like to give up all that we do with the Tricaster.

Can I use something like a Magewell box (1 HD 4 SD) to bring a feed from a HD camera and the feed from the Tricaster. Seems like this could easily happen.

BUT, what happens when I mix (using vMix)the SD feed with the HD feed (and send it out to my HD encoder) ?

If those doesn't function, anyone have any other suggestions as to how to keep as much of the Tricaster goodies (SD) and alo employ a HD camera feed.

Thanks

Jane
hogwam  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 8:41:21 AM(UTC)
hogwam

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
When you refer to SD and HD feeds, I assume you are refering to differing resolutions.

vMix will handle differing resolutions, but will scale them to the 'master' resolution set in Settings -> Display.

Of course, if these are upscaled, the resulting image may be fuzzy or at extreme upscaling, pixillated.
However downscaling tends to give better results when scaled - except in extreme cases.

also keep in mind that if your sources are interlaced, you may need to deinterlace them in vMix.
simply check the 'deinterlace blend' option in the input's 'general' settings window.

Best advice....Do some testing and see what results you get with the scaling.
You might find that streaming in 720p at a higher bitrate looks more acceptable than 1080p in a lower bitrate.
It all depends how your viewers are watching the stream, what connection speed they have and the size of screen they are watching on.

Some screenshots below of one of my setups, with differing resolutions of sources, which output to a 720p stream
hogwam attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG (51kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Capture2.JPG (66kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Capture3.JPG (90kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
calamityjane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 9:43:21 AM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thank you hogwam for the prompt reply. Yes two different resolutions. One feed would be 720 (from my Sony NX5U) and the other would be a 16x9 SD ffed from my Tricaster. From your illustration I see the vMix software can/will convert the SD to match the 720 HD. Because the source is 16x9, I am hoping the "upscaling" will not do too much damage. Would a Black Magic "upconverter" improve the quality of the stretched SD feed ?

I will give this a try ASAp when I can get back in the studio. I am getting excited for this project.

Thanks once again for the explanation, suggestion and graphics.

Jane