logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 5:01:36 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
By now I am pretty used to vMix and appreciate it more for every day that passes!

One thing though I have a hard time understanding is the separation of Presets and Settings. Maybe my company is the only one that regard them as inseparable due to the way we plan and execute our productions. For one thing, in a typical event production the graphic setup (Preset) and the streaming setup (Settings) are unique for each production.

Would it be useful to discuss if everything could be combined into one "profile"? Or, perhaps as an alternative, add a General setting that defines which Preset should be used for that Setting, and automatically open it if not already opened. As well as when a Setting is exported, ask if the current Preset should be saved. That would minimize the risk that we run a Preset with the wrong Setting or vice versa.

Please share your thoughts around this.

Thanks.
ask  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 5:09:13 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
This is something that I have been thinking about for a while. Like Richard it seems to me that it would be logical for the Save Preset to save the complete configuration for the particular session. This would be of particular benefit in testing, and when running O/B sessions where you have different setups to the Studio.
Damn2Good4U  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 6:10:02 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
@RichardGartarski

You nailed it... I got confused as well. I am 110% in support of your suggestion.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 7:18:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
The settings structure is designed under two main categories:

========================

Settings

"Global" settings, typically hardware related and therefore usually won't change from session to session.
Requires a restart.

Streaming profiles are also saved globally.

Presets

Input related settings including Recording, Overlay and PlayList

========================

To understand why things are organised this way, consider the following scenarios:

* A customer with a fixed hardware setup but different inputs they use depending on the project
* A customer with a large number of project who would like to take advantage of a new setting in vMix or a new audio, fullscreen or output configuration for all of them
* A customer with a few preferred streaming providers used over a number of presets (where they usually only need to change the Stream Key)
* A customer with a number of common shortcuts they use for all projects, and a separate set of shortcuts they use depending on the project

vMix currently caters for the scenarios above and many more while simultaneously allowing for customers who wish to have all settings together
via the Settings Import/Export feature. There have also been some improvements to the import/export functionality including automatic restart to help with this.

With all of this flexibility in mind, it is still relatively straightforward to do what you need in vMix today:

1. Open vMix
2. Click settings
3. Click Import and select your settings
4. Once vMix has restarted, click Open Preset

If you have some suggestions on how to simplify this process for the users who need it, then make some suggestions here for further discussion.

My personal view is that it would be very hard to keep track of what settings I used in each preset and frustrating to go through
everything again for a new project.
I prefer to have as many settings configured globally as possible and separate input presets available to add and remove as needed.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 8:07:22 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thank you for the clarification Martin! I will give this some deep considerations.

Meanwhile, I might add that some of us use multiple production platforms (eg "mini O/B" kits) where "all of them" (global) does not work because of variations in hardware. For examples, exactly the same PCIe camera card have a different GUID, and a USB audio device inserted in a different USB port gets a different GUID.

(if I understand it right in that there is some kind of GUID that identifies the hardware, which is generated differently depending on motherboard, PCIe slots, etc).

Sidenote, I have planned to open up a feature request for exporting/importing shortcut keys (and some other stuff too).