logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boris9831  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2021 5:59:15 AM(UTC)
boris9831

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
https://github.com/ykhwong/ppt-ndi

I have seen a couple of postings on this but does anyone have any extended experience with this the PowerPoint to NDI tool as listed in the link above. I have tested this for a conference I am streaming this weekend. I am concerned about stability. It seems to work OK in classic mode. Classic mode let's you load a PowerPoint file and then provides a NDI feed which, of course, can be used as a vMix input. You can then transition your slide(s) using this and not have PowerPoint loaded.
thickrichard  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2021 1:33:21 PM(UTC)
thickrichard

Why not just get a HDMI second screen spoofer to emulate a second screen and run PPT and vMixDC? Or plug it in to a second monitor or switcher or multivew. Skip the the plug in altogether just grab the Fullscreen PPT window direct
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2021 1:12:58 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
PPT-NDI is ok, if you have access to the presentation computer.

I agree there's more flexibility in using PowerPoint itself and capturing the window/screen.

My projects usually require presenting from a speakers own laptop. No ability to load software. No way to know if they are Windows, OSX or Linux. In such cases, I take HDMI out of the laptop into a BirdDog Mini NDI encoder. That works great.
mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2021 11:37:34 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post

I agree there's more flexibility in using PowerPoint itself and capturing the window/screen.

My projects usually require presenting from a speakers own laptop. No ability to load software. No way to know if they are Windows, OSX or Linux. In such cases, I take HDMI out of the laptop into a BirdDog Mini NDI encoder. That works great.

What do you do if their laptop's HDMI port is being used to feed the in-room projector?
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 6:58:07 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mgrayeb Go to Quoted Post
What do you do if their laptop's HDMI port is being used to feed the in-room projector?

An HDMI splitter. Dirt cheap.

Actually, if you can afford it, a scaler like the Decimater Design MDX is better. It will give you multiple outputs and ensure that the laptop display is consistently scaled to 1080p60, regardless of the the make/model of laptop connected.

It has been my habit to feed the in-room projector from an aux output of vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 12/6/2021(UTC)
matkeane  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 9:31:52 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: boris9831 Go to Quoted Post
https://github.com/ykhwong/ppt-ndi

I have seen a couple of postings on this but does anyone have any extended experience with this the PowerPoint to NDI tool as listed in the link above. I have tested this for a conference I am streaming this weekend. I am concerned about stability. It seems to work OK in classic mode. Classic mode let's you load a PowerPoint file and then provides a NDI feed which, of course, can be used as a vMix input. You can then transition your slide(s) using this and not have PowerPoint loaded.

I used this NDI plugin on a couple of projects where the client wanted to use Powerpoint for titles (quick, easy updates since they are familiar with the software) but we wanted to use the alpha channel to overlay the titles (rather than keying which never gives very good results in my experience). The plugin works pretty well, and we didn't have any trouble with stability. However, when we used transitions in Powerpoint it got pretty slow, so we ended up removing the animation in Powerpoint and adding fades or wipes in vMix instead. We mostly used it in slideshow mode so that could make last-minute changes to the presentation.

So, if you need NDI with an alpha channel, it works pretty well. Since then for lower-thirds, we mostly use the vMix titles instead, but we have used it for another project where the client wanted their presentation to 'float' over the background and camera insert, so it does have its uses. As ever, it's best to test with your setup before committing to using it on a project!
thanks 1 user thanked matkeane for this useful post.
mjgraves on 12/7/2021(UTC)
renpro  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 23, 2022 7:04:37 AM(UTC)
renpro

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post

I know my comment comes after your project date but could be useful in the future:

Yes, occasionally one needs to control the very device that is connected to vMix using NDI. This is the case for our church where scriptures and PowerPoint announcements run on a second machine. When I am not at my vMix control center PHYSICALLY, I can remote in using the FREE "Remotedesktop.Google.com" After setting up my Google Remote desktop account, I give each machine a name and password and have complete desktop control as if I'm physically there. We have to do this during bad weather but the show must go on. I still use two computers from my home. One computer is connected to the vMix streaming Systems. The other computer is connected to the scripture/announcements machine all using the same "Remotedesktop.Google account. I also us vMixCall where my Pastor may be in another location to remote in to the vMix Streaming computer. I HAVE CONTROL.

Hope this helped.