logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
muzicman82  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2021 6:13:24 PM(UTC)
muzicman82

Groups: Registered
United States

Hi all,

Apologies if this has recently been answered. I've been reading some old forum posts here but wanted to do a fresh brainstorm.

I am looking to use vMix to handle discrete program content for up to 4x displays. Let's say there's 2x projectors and 2x flat planels and I want them all to (potentially) have different content.

In the NewTek TriCaster world as far as I've used the platform before, this would be accomplished by setting up 4x M/E's and assigning those directly to different outputs.

With vMix, I believe the platform is designed around having 1x program output, correct? Yes, I can assign inputs to different outputs, and customize the overlays for various outputs, but those sound like workarounds to me.

Now, since you can assign inputs to external outputs, this sort of works I think and I'm sure this could be externally controlled with scripting or API, but I am guessing these would be cut-switching and would not have the ability to transition between inputs.

If I only needed each display to be 1080p, is it feasible to use 1x 4K fullscreen output, and crop it in a 2x2 grid for 4x different displays?

For lack of a better approach, I'm envisioning a vMix system eliminating the need for a matrix router, and simultaneously providing mixing abilities for each output.

Another thought was whether vMix could run multiple instances (on the same system) where each instance's program output could be assigned to a different display (or even a different NDI stream).
lukeskope  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 4:48:56 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

vMix and NewTek Connect.

You'll need a SDI capture card.

Enable External, turn NDI on for outputs 3 & 4.

Send External Outputs 1 & 2 out the capture card directly through vMix.

Use NewTek Connect to grab outputs 3 & 4 as NDI Sources, set your outputs to your capture card.

You now have all 4 External Outputs from vMix out SDI, you can run to your 4 destinations and they're all independently switchable.

They'll all be cuts though, no cross fades, unless you set up additional mixes in vMix, bus those to your outputs, then create buttons on your xKeys or Stream deck for each of these mixes.
muzicman82  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 5:38:50 AM(UTC)
muzicman82

United States

Originally Posted by: lukeskope Go to Quoted Post
vMix and NewTek Connect.

You'll need a SDI capture card.

Enable External, turn NDI on for outputs 3 & 4.

Send External Outputs 1 & 2 out the capture card directly through vMix.

Use NewTek Connect to grab outputs 3 & 4 as NDI Sources, set your outputs to your capture card.

You now have all 4 External Outputs from vMix out SDI, you can run to your 4 destinations and they're all independently switchable.

They'll all be cuts though, no cross fades, unless you set up additional mixes in vMix, bus those to your outputs, then create buttons on your xKeys or Stream deck for each of these mixes.

I think I follow you but I don't exactly need the outputs to be SDI. They can be NDI directly, but doing SDI just to get back to NDI seems inefficient if that's how it needs to be done. I plan on putting NDI decoders at each display, so if I were to just do cuts between sources I could just get a Stream Deck to control the decoder, and skip vMix and added latency.

lukeskope  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 8:05:23 AM(UTC)
lukeskope

United States

If you've got NDI decoders then what I've described is a bit overkill, so that's great. You can set this all up in vmix and control all the outputs with a streamdeck, easy peasy
Biddle558  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 3:21:24 PM(UTC)
Biddle558

United States

Originally Posted by: muzicman82 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Apologies if this has recently been answered. I've been reading some old forum posts here but wanted to do a fresh brainstorm.

I am looking to use vMix to handle discrete program content for up to 4x displays. Let's say there's 2x projectors and 2x flat planels and I want them all to (potentially) have different content.

In the NewTek TriCaster world as far as I've used the platform before, this would be accomplished by setting up 4x M/E's and assigning those directly to different outputs. prepaidgiftbalance

With vMix, I believe the platform is designed around having 1x program output, correct? Yes, I can assign inputs to different outputs, and customize the overlays for various outputs, but those sound like workarounds to me.

Now, since you can assign inputs to external outputs, this sort of works I think and I'm sure this could be externally controlled with scripting or API, but I am guessing these would be cut-switching and would not have the ability to transition between inputs.

If I only needed each display to be 1080p, is it feasible to use 1x 4K fullscreen output, and crop it in a 2x2 grid for 4x different displays?

For lack of a better approach, I'm envisioning a vMix system eliminating the need for a matrix router, and simultaneously providing mixing abilities for each output.

Another thought was whether vMix could run multiple instances (on the same system) where each instance's program output could be assigned to a different display (or even a different NDI stream).

There used to be a well known issue in Windows 10 when using 144Hz monitors with 60Hz monitors on the same GPU. Most people would experience weirdly lower performance and higher GPU temps in this setup. It had to do with the frame buffers not syncing up. This issue doesn't appear when pairing a 120Hz monitor with 60Hz monitors.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2021 8:31:13 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
https://www.vmix.com/help24/Mix.html
and assign each mixer to an Output.