logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
idiotzoo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:49:16 PM(UTC)
idiotzoo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello. After a very frustrating time playing with the Vidblaster demo I've come across vMix and will give it a try.

However I won't get chance to do that before the new year, and I'm impatient so it would be useful to have any insight from folks here about what I'm trying to achieve.

System is for use in a church, I want to be able to mix between computer output (for words and powerpoint) and SD PAL cameras without losing quality of the computer output.

So my plan is to capture the computer input at 1280x720 using Blackmagic Intensity Pro and the cameras using Videum 4400. Output would be at 1280x720 using either a second intensity card or a spare VGA output.

The main purpose for this system will be live vision mixing with recording and streaming being desirable things that I know I'm going to be asked for, which is why I'm interested in looking at a software route... Also, there's no money to do things properly with SDI and an ATEM or some such.

The hardware I'm currently playing with is a Core2quad Q8300 on a nice Asus board with plenty of Ram and windows 7. Video bits are the Videum 4400 and the Intensity. GPU is Nvidia 8400GS.

I'm happy to look at upgrading this hardware as necessary, certainly vidblaster wouldn't do what I want without a Sandybridge i7, but my experience with Vidblaster has been... somewhat negative. I've spent days on it and can't even get what I'd consider an acceptable picture out of it at SD PAL, so frame rate has been the least of my issues.

So here I am. Any thoughts on the above ramblings gratefully received.

Matt
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:01:23 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Matt,

You should be fine on that hardware to mix multiple live HD or SD inputs.
The advantage of vMix is it uses the graphics hardware to its full potential allowing HD mixing at high quality without using up all the CPU.

The only thing I would recommend is getting a slightly better graphics card such as a GeForce GT 440 or higher.
These can be found for under $100.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
idiotzoo on 12/23/2011(UTC)
idiotzoo  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 6:07:05 AM(UTC)
idiotzoo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Martin, I'll look at getting a better GPU. Is there any preference between Nvidia and ATI cards?
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 9:56:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Nvidia cards have slightly better performance with vMix but either is fine.