logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
marvelsferb7  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2021 3:57:41 AM(UTC)
marvelsferb7

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, I have recently started to have to broadcast company all-hands meetings using Microsoft Teams and vMix through NDI. I've noticed that when bringing in more than 3 or 4 NDI inputs from another Teams meeting (on a separate laptop on the same network), the laptop that is broadcasting the output (through vMix as my webcam) on a Teams Live Event, I drop a lot of frames and the CPU is pegged at 100%. The stream is unusable because the quality is just that bad.

Here are the specs of my laptop:
Intel i9-9880H
32GB RAM https://nox.tips/
Quadro RTX 4000

My partner on the team runs an i5 with a GTX 1080 and it does fine, but it's a desktop. I would expect my more powerful laptop to be fine as well, but it seems underpowered when doing this task. An https://xender.vip/y advice on a laptop that would perform this task better? It has to be lenovo, but the sky may be the limit as far as cost is concerned.

MY concern is that I pick some top spec'd Xeon machine and it is far more powerful than it needs to be or still isn't the solution. I could go with a desktop, but I have to remain mobile. Any advice, feedback, comments are welcome. I appreciate the help.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 2:58:52 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Full NDI is bandwidth heavy. I have made a video to show how quickly you get a 1G network filled up.
Laptops at the other hand tend to have heat issues and tend to lower the performance the more you request it.
I could recommend the airtop 3. A dead silent PC passively cooled. Adding a newline Flex 4k Monitor gives you touch as well. They work brilliantly together.
Second advice in general is looking at the PCI lanes. 16 lanes are filled with the GPU. You want to have 24 or 40 lanes to add other stuff on the PCI bus such as network cards, Nvme, capture cards...

I hope I could give you some inspiration.
WaltG12  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 7:53:30 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: marvelsferb7 Go to Quoted Post
I could go with a desktop, but I have to remain mobile.

You have to remain mobile, but do you have to remain mobile while doing this specific task (or others identical to it)?

If the situation allows for it, there's nothing wrong with having 2 machines--a laptop for some things & a desktop for others.