logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
erikhogeboom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 2:44:12 AM(UTC)
erikhogeboom

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Hi!

In my studio I broadcast the vMix Calls in the room with some speakers, so the hosts can hear the people talk. Headphones aren't a option sadly. Naturally the microphones in the room will pick up this sound from the speakers, even though I'm monitoring the audiolevels separate from the master audio (speakers are fed from busA) and try to keep it as low as possible. But sooner or later, it will cause an echo in the livestream.

I can offcourse close the mics when the caller is talking, but that takes away the dynamic of the discussion and the hosts like to react quickly and even during the caller talking.

I have seen that other audio-experts use a feedback killer (of sorts) where they give an input to a plugin (in this instance the callers) and the plugin filters away the feedback echo and delivers a clean audio signal to the master without the echo. But...I don't know how to do this or what kind of plugin is used.

Is any of this possible in vMix? Who can help me.
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 3:08:32 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I use an automixer for having a lot of mics open continously. That is extra hardware. Maybe that helps.
Or just very stupid make the sound louder and just use the studio mic. (This might come with a slight off lipsync though)
WaltG12  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 5:25:30 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erikhogeboom Go to Quoted Post
Headphones aren't a option sadly.

This is going to be the best (and only 100% foolproof) answer.

If you elaborate as to what the specific issue is, perhaps someone here knows a way around it.
mtone  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 10:02:23 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: erikhogeboom Go to Quoted Post

I have seen that other audio-experts use a feedback killer (of sorts) where they give an input to a plugin (in this instance the callers) and the plugin filters away the feedback echo and delivers a clean audio signal to the master without the echo. But...I don't know how to do this or what kind of plugin is used.

Is any of this possible in vMix? Who can help me.

are you using cardioid or omni microphones ? stage mics like SM58 are designed to avoid spill from speakers and mostly only pickup sound in front of them..that sort of mic isnt as clean as a condensor for speech but if you had speakers directly behind them and the volume isnt too high you should hear very little spill and you could possibly EQ it to still sound OK..

another option is use a gate plugin on the hosts audio buss and set the threshold just above the background level of the speakers.. with a decent gate plugin you can set attack to ease in the volume so when the hosts start speaking the gate shouldnt truncate the beginning of their words.. its not ideal but if you did this in conjunction with directional mics you should get a decent result.. whether or not the quality of the hosts audio is still good enough though would need to be tested..

i think dugan automixing is the preferred option for this sort of application.. waves do a plugin but its not cheap and i think it need sidechaining from the host software which i dont think vmix is capable of.. i might be wrong on this though ? otherwise you could look at something like Behringer XAir 18 mixer which has automixing. depending on your setup that may work ?
mavik  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2021 10:47:21 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
The XR18 has build in dan dugan automixing. Here is a demo of how to interact with it.
erikhogeboom  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2021 3:36:50 AM(UTC)
erikhogeboom

Netherlands

Thanx for thinking with me, but I've found the name for the 'thing' I want to do: Acoustic Echo Cancellation. So to filter out a sound from the mic-source, based on a certain input.

I've seen it happen, it's been used in phonecall and meetingsoftware, but now I want to find a plugin that can do it with a certain input. In this case: to filter out the sound of the vmix-call (coming through the speakers) in the signal of the microphones.