logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David_in_Philly  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 3:07:34 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
When introducing Vmix to someone who doesn't know it, I usually include in my description some version of the following:

"As a new/basic user you'll see Vmix as a single piece of software on a single PC. As you grow and become more advanced, you'll regard it as software that you can run simultaneously on multiple PCs; off-loading certain functions like recording, streaming, graphics management (and more) to other PCs."

I currently have at least 6 Vmix licenses; 2 Pro and 4 Basic, and I'll soon be buying more.

While NDI is a hugely important reason that I can and do use many different PCs simultaneously, I believe that there's a lot more that Martin and team can do it increase the utility and value - by adding features that more easily support full communication and functionality across the VMix PCs on the same LAN.

Here's an example:
I use eight mini PCs running Vmix Basic as ISO recorders for Vmix calls. I simultaneously use those PCs for other (mostly browser-based) functions too. I can stop and start recording of Vmix from my primary production PC using Stream Deck launched scripts (that I spent awhile figuring out) that send commands to each mini PC based on its IP address.

One of the problems is that there doesn't seem to be a way to either poll those remote PC as to their recording status (on or off) or send activator commands (or API calls that would activate local activators) back to my Stream Deck to turn on "recording" indicators.

I can imagine having the remote Vmix PCs do other things too - especially if they could report their status back and you could use activators to trigger LED indicators on the Stream Deck. Of course, I believe that currently you can only associate one activator with a button on Stream Deck and, though I can understand the idea of a conflict among multiple activators trying to change the color of a single button, I have faith that Martin and team can figure out a way around it (perhaps with a limit of 2 activators per button with some kind of prioritization). They've already done this with input colors that prioritize the Output over Preview - when an input is in both.

One of the biggest barriers for me is the complexity of sending API commands to other Vmix PCs on the LAN. If every shortcut, script & activator could allow you readily target any machine running VMix (with a drop down menu?) and send commands to it without having to write complex scripts, that would open the door to greater use of this functionality to those of us who aren't programmers. The same could be said with a drag-and-drop script builder built into the scripting interface.

Rather than go on longer here. I hope that this stimulates conversation both among other users and internally at Vmix).

Please add a +1 to support these ideas.

Thanks!

-David
thanks 1 user thanked David_in_Philly for this useful post.
Nohitsound on 11/20/2021(UTC)
TRMaCoy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 7:24:13 AM(UTC)
TRMaCoy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

Noting that Companion can handle a lot of what you're looking for, in terms of pulling record/stream states from various vMix machines and updating StreamDeck buttons accordingly.
thanks 1 user thanked TRMaCoy for this useful post.
David_in_Philly on 8/10/2021(UTC)
David_in_Philly  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 2:19:31 PM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Yes, thanks. I've been experimenting with Companion and see that it can do that. I've also seen reports of companion glitching during some live events. Check out this review from Doug Johnson Productions.

Howlswolf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 1:24:13 AM(UTC)
Howlswolf

Canada

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Ive never experienced a glitch from Companion on 3000+ events... must depend on the setup... but with vMix its running perfectly for us.
thanks 1 user thanked Howlswolf for this useful post.
David_in_Philly on 8/12/2021(UTC)
David_in_Philly  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 6:39:31 AM(UTC)
David_in_Philly

United States

Originally Posted by: Howlswolf Go to Quoted Post
Ive never experienced a glitch from Companion on 3000+ events... must depend on the setup... but with vMix its running perfectly for us.

So relieved to hear that! I've also heard similar comments from other Vmix users.