logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
glen4cindy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 10:53:12 AM(UTC)
glen4cindy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm still having problems with audio and I'm not having any luck with anything that I've tried.

The sliders and the speaker, solo, mute, and automatic mixing buttons seem to have no effect whatsoever on the audio that is going out over our livestream.

I've added a trigger to an input "OnTransitionIn" and have tried AudioBusOff and when I use that input the audio meters on the left side of the output window stop as if there is no audio but nothing happens to the levels on the stream.

The only thing that affects anything on the stream audio is going into the audio input of the Windows 10 settings and changing the Microphone input.

I'm bringing audio into the computer using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface.

My camera is recognized by vMix as "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR."

Thanks in advance.

mtone  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 11:32:01 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
do you have ASIO selected in vmix audio preferences as the driver being used ? also check focusrite settings to make sure there isnt an option to "disable hardware control" or something along those lines..
thanks 1 user thanked mtone for this useful post.
glen4cindy on 8/5/2021(UTC)
glen4cindy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 11:39:53 AM(UTC)
glen4cindy

United States

Originally Posted by: mtone Go to Quoted Post
do you have ASIO selected in vmix audio preferences as the driver being used ? also check focusrite settings to make sure there isnt an option to "disable hardware control" or something along those lines..

I'm not sure where to look for this ASIO setting.

I'm not at the church right now but from all the tinkering I've been doing with audio the only thing I can remember being able to select for audio in settings are things like Master and Headphones and Bus A,B,C,D etc. Would that setting be in this area?

I'll look at the Focusrite too but that seems odd too. There is a Focusrite Control but there isn't much to it. There are not any audio meters or any indication that there is an input. I can see my input indication on the physical controls on the Focusrite. They light up as they detect the audio level.

The interface on the computer allows me to select the same things as the physical panel except for the audio levels.

Thanks again.

mtone  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 12:38:47 PM(UTC)
mtone

only having audio control via windows mixer can be a signal of WDM drivers being used and not ASIO.. im not sure this will fix your issue but its definately worth checking.. ASIO driver selection in vMix is under settings/audio outputs..

also make sure you have the right audio buss being used for the stream output which i think is settings/outputs and then click the cog icon next to the output.. the reference to hardware control in focusrite is just another "worth checking" thing..
glen4cindy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 10:33:21 AM(UTC)
glen4cindy

United States

only having audio control via windows mixer can be a signal of WDM drivers being used and not ASIO.. im not sure this will fix your issue but its definately worth checking.. ASIO driver selection in vMix is under settings/audio outputs..

also make sure you have the right audio buss being used for the stream output which i think is settings/outputs and then click the cog icon next to the output.. the reference to hardware control in focusrite is just another "worth checking" thing..

I have made the changes you suggested that I have been able to find.

I have not been able to find anything at all regarding hardware control of the Focusrite.

vMix Audio 1.PNG (20kb) downloaded 2 time(s). vMix Audio.PNG (32kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

I have added an ASIO input and have selected Focusrite USB ASIO as my Master Output and Headphones.

Again even with the sliders on the inputs and outputs all the way down there is still audio on the stream.

I'm so stumped. Just as a test to make sure this audio was coming from the Focusrite I unplugged the USB cable and after a few seconds the audio stopped.

Thanks again.
mtone  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 12:01:18 PM(UTC)
mtone

also in settings have you looked at outputs/ndi/srt ? on that screen there is a cog icon next to stream output... if you click that icon it shows which audio buss is being sent to the stream.. maybe the audio is being sent from another buss and not master ?

If you lowered all input fader levels and still heard audio though that is weird and would suggest the problem is maybe a bug ? did you ever have it working in the past ? if you did then its more likely to be something you have changed..
admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 12:29:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Recording Audio should be changed back to vMix Audio, you have set it to an audio source directly, hence why nothing in vMix works.

Recording audio is an advanced setting that has a warning to enable to be changed. Please do not change advanced settings as
these will just cause more problems.
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 8/4/2021(UTC), glen4cindy on 8/5/2021(UTC)
mtone  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 1:12:46 PM(UTC)
mtone

Martin.. is there any reason why you call it Record Audio ? that label doesnt really make any sense given the overall nature of the function.. shouldn't it be "Master Audio Source"..

also have you considered having description text update when the user changes a setting to describe what will happen ? I realise this is the advanced page which you suggest people dont make changes but just in general, careful thought around labeling and some dynamic descriptions throughout the program would probably reduce this sort of tech support..
glen4cindy on 8/8/2021(UTC)
admin  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 4:15:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
This is a legacy setting and is hidden by default for a reason. The user has to specifically tick on Advanced settings and ignore the warning before it appears.

It is there because it made sense many many versions ago, when audio was usually recorded direct from the device, but that is no longer the case.
It is kept there hidden in the rare case someone has a really old setup they still want to use, but is not supported.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
eduardocfs on 8/4/2021(UTC)
mtone  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2021 7:12:17 PM(UTC)
mtone

ok.. i think the function itself makes sense to keep just the name is kinda confusing given it is the main source for streaming and output not just recording..
glen4cindy  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 12:38:16 PM(UTC)
glen4cindy

United States

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Recording Audio should be changed back to vMix Audio, you have set it to an audio source directly, hence why nothing in vMix works.

Recording audio is an advanced setting that has a warning to enable to be changed. Please do not change advanced settings as
these will just cause more problems.

These were absolutely the right answers.

I had first made the changes mtone suggested but was still hearing audio in the stream. I read a few posts later in this thread that "Recording Audio" is truly more than just recording audio which was exactly my problem.

Why on Earth I thought **I** as a new vMix user thought I could click past the warning about changing advanced settings is beyond me. My only thought is I must have changed that trying to solve another problem.

I was so happy to be able to control the audio that I added a trigger to my beginning input that fires off our recording and streaming so it shuts off the master audio first. Then it turns it back on at transition out.

The ending input that ends the recording and stream now has a trigger that shuts off the audio.

All is working perfectly thanks to your excellent help. I can only press the Thanks button once. :)
mtone  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2021 3:39:26 PM(UTC)
mtone

Originally Posted by: glen4cindy Go to Quoted Post

All is working perfectly thanks to your excellent help. I can only press the Thanks button once. :)

no probs.. good thing you took the time to post the pics so Martin could see the exact problem..
glen4cindy on 8/8/2021(UTC)
glen4cindy  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2021 11:29:56 AM(UTC)
glen4cindy

United States

Originally Posted by: glen4cindy Go to Quoted Post

no probs.. good thing you took the time to post the pics so Martin could see the exact problem..

I did have to run several tests this past week.

I had an occasion to be able to test in a live environment. I have the triggers working exactly as I want them so that our first, last, and "please stand by" images are on the screen without any audio just like I wanted to have happened and I have the audio slider for the USB Focusrite device and the master slider both controlling audio.

I had to make sure the "recording audio" was recording properly. It was.

You all are amazing.