logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bikeroo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:33:31 PM(UTC)
Bikeroo

Groups: Registered
Poland

Hello everyone.

I working in small studio, where we produce a lot of simple webinar (one person + his presentantion).
But sometimes we also produce bigger online events, where we stream it through all day (6/7 hours).

During this events we have a lot of callers, around 20. We are conneting whit them via Microsoft Teams.
We are using NDI inputs, so we can send our callers from MS Teams into vMix.

The question is, after this online events we noticed, that our network usage is soooo huge.

I assume, that the reason is huge amount of NDI callers during one stream.

It is coreect? Do you have any idea, how we can reduce usage of our network bandwidth?
Narcogen  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:41:27 PM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NDI uses about 100Mbps per HD stream and is intended for use on a LAN (at least, until the recent release of the NDI Remote feature in NDI 5, but that's another story).

If you're pulling in Teams feeds over NDI and then capturing them on a machine OTHER than the one participating in the Teams meeting, then all that bandwidth will be going out over your LAN.

The way to reduce this is to run your capture on the same machine running Teams.
Bikeroo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:53:51 PM(UTC)
Bikeroo

Poland

@Narcogen Thank you for respond.

But I using the same machine where I have Teams meeting and vMix streaming. Both are running in the same computer.

Maybe is there other way to reduce bandwidth usage?

Narcogen  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 12:23:52 AM(UTC)
Narcogen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you're running them on the same machine, there is no NDI bandwidth usage. The application using the bandwidth would be vMix for your streaming, and Teams itself for the meeting.

Your use of NDI is not affecting either your LAN bandwidth network utilization, or your Internet traffic utilization.

Anything you do in Teams or vMix to reduce their network utilization would reduce quality (lower bitrate).

Hard to comment further without more information about what "so huge" means but if it is not affecting operations or quality I'd say you don't actually have a problem.