logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eppley1  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2021 12:18:21 PM(UTC)
eppley1

Groups: Registered
United States

Please pardon this question from a pre-newbie, especially if I'm in the wrong forum. I'm trying to figure out if vMix and PTZOptics 30x-NDI cameras are what I should be purchasing. My goal is to connect three of these cameras, each with a single Ethernet cable, to a gigabit network switch with PoE and then use vMix on a computer also connected to the network to simultaneously record video from all three cameras and save the videos in three separate files. I see that the MultiCorder feature in vMix should be able to do this, but my concern is the following statement in the vMix documentation: "Any source with irregular timing such as NDI-HX, Desktop Capture and vMix Call are not supported by MultiCorder and should not be used." The PTZOptics 30x-NDI cameras have "NDI | HX" stamped on the base. Does that mean that I can't use those cameras to do what I want with vMix?

Thanks,
Paul
mavik  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 4:58:44 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
3 NDI cams on a gigabit network are ok, especially if they are HX. The vMix document makes absolute sense. Take it serious. I don't know the PTZoptics good enough but they maybe have internal recording onto SD cards. That should be safest way of ISO recording.
But, if I were you I would look into the birddog range of products. They are Full NDI (which is configurable in bandwidth these days), consume a bit more power in terms of PoE+ that the switch should be capable of and work very well inside vMix.

sinc747  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 7:13:19 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eppley1 Go to Quoted Post
Please pardon this question from a pre-newbie, especially if I'm in the wrong forum. I'm trying to figure out if vMix and PTZOptics 30x-NDI cameras are what I should be purchasing. My goal is to connect three of these cameras, each with a single Ethernet cable, to a gigabit network switch with PoE and then use vMix on a computer also connected to the network to simultaneously record video from all three cameras and save the videos in three separate files. I see that the MultiCorder feature in vMix should be able to do this, but my concern is the following statement in the vMix documentation: "Any source with irregular timing such as NDI-HX, Desktop Capture and vMix Call are not supported by MultiCorder and should not be used." The PTZOptics 30x-NDI cameras have "NDI | HX" stamped on the base. Does that mean that I can't use those cameras to do what I want with vMix?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

I just tested this with my PTZ Optics 20X NDI/HX camera and vMix Multicorder. Video was beautiful. BTW, the PTZO cam does not have a SD port. The USB port does not support recording.

Holler if you have any other PTZO questions. I've been using & selling them for years.

- Tom
eppley1  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 22, 2021 10:32:00 AM(UTC)
eppley1

United States

Thanks, Tom! The folks at PTZOptics suggested using RTSP feeds, rather than NDI, since they should be no problem with vMix's MultiCorder. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like it should be easy enough. In fact, I might purchase the non-NDI cameras for the remaining two, since they're identical to the NDI cameras, except for the NDI license. It sounds like I could always purchase the licenses and upgrade later, if needed. By the way, did you try MultiCorder with more than one NDI camera feed recording simultaneously? The PTZOptics folks though the warning might have something to do with the feeds not remaining in sync.

Thanks,
Paul
mavik  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 12:13:59 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
The vMix warning has to do with NDI issues that the record file could start over and you have to fix it post show. Similar to the calls that might interrupt. The multicorder just dumps the data onto disc, no continuity guaranteed.
NDI is very similar to what RTSP is. NDI wraps stream and control data which RTSP doesn't.
Medialooks offers their direct take software which is a 4 channel NDI recorder. Newtek obviously has a 2 Ch recorder for free and also a paid 4CH version. Even Studio Monitor includes a recorder. You need a seperate instance running for different feeds then.
eppley1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 1:12:13 AM(UTC)
eppley1

United States

Dear Mavik,

I didn't know about the other software you mentioned, so I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks,
Paul
Panic  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 8:13:05 AM(UTC)
Panic

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you want reliable recordings you need to transcode NDI sources to normalize the resolution, bitrate and frame rate. The multicorder does not do this on its own unless they are recording one of the 4 external outputs. If you don’t need the external outputs for something else you can use them. NDI no longer sells a multi channel recorder and the one in studio monitor is no better than the multicorder- it just dumps the raw data stream to disk.

I use another instance of vmix just for iso records but you could also do it with OBS as long as you’re careful to transcode the source.

Also don’t ever use the “fault tolerant” mp4 recording option. It’s a complete garbage workaround that should never have been released.
eppley1  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 10:37:31 PM(UTC)
eppley1

United States

Dear Panic,

Thanks for the interesting information! That explains why I couldn't find the multi-channel recorder from Newtek. I have two questions, then.

I'm still not very experienced with vMix, but it sounds like you're saying that if I send the three cameras' NDI streams to three separate external outputs and then use the MultiCorder to record the three external outputs, that would accomplish what I'm trying to do. Is that correct?

Also, what are your thoughts on using RTSP feeds instead of NDI? Would they still have the same issues as the NDI feeds if I used the MultiCorder to record them directly?

Thanks,
Paul
Panic  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2021 10:28:56 AM(UTC)
Panic

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yes. You can route the camera inputs to the external outputs and tell the multicorder to record the external outs. That will give you stable transcoded records. There may be other reasons to use Rtsp or NDI but the camera feeds will need to be transcoded regardless.
eppley1  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 30, 2021 1:22:49 PM(UTC)
eppley1

United States

Great! Thanks!

Paul