logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fwieland  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 6:36:16 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Groups: Registered
Switzerland

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here's an idea that would make programming a show a lot easier:
If an input would have a unique ID assigned at creation which we can use to assign shortcuts, outpiuts, etc, we wpould eliminate the problem of shifting input numbers alltogether.
I konw this is not an easy task, but I believe it would be worth considering for a futere large update.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 6:51:07 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fwieland Go to Quoted Post

If an input would have a unique ID assigned at creation which we can use to assign shortcuts, outpiuts, etc, we wpould eliminate the problem of shifting input numbers alltogether.

input Key=#? i'm lost !
fwieland  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:11:58 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

input Key=#? i'm lost !

I'll try to explain:
When programming shortcuts or activators in vMix, Companion, etc, there is a choice to assign the shortcut either to an input number or input name. Output assignments (Example: Output4 assigned to Input20) can only be done by Input Number.
The shortcut for some inputs, specifically vMix Calls, need to be assigned to input number, not the input name, because, as an example, the name of the vMix Call input changes when somebody logs in. Output asignement will shift around when adding or closing an input before the input assigned to the output.
These problems could be solved if every input gets a unique ID assigned to it at creation, which will not change no matter what. This ID can then be used to assign a shortcut and will allways stay the same across other presets. It would make quite a few programming tasks a lot easier.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 7:36:36 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Apart from the choices given in say creating a shortcut gui you can assign the (unique input key) to use the functions where an input reference is demanded (number or name or key) and use a script or scriptstartdynamic instead
Even the basic Streamdeck app can handle this using the web option (httprequest -> function)
fwieland  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 8:12:52 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Apart from the choices given in say creating a shortcut gui you can assign the (unique input key) to use the functions where an input reference is demanded (number or name or key) and use a script or scriptstartdynamic instead
Even the basic Streamdeck app can handle this using the web option (httprequest -> function)

Unique input key? Where can I find that? As far as I can see, there is only input name and input number available. Those aro both not unique keys. Input names and numbers can be changed, UID's never change, that's why I am asking for it.
Of course you could do it through a script, but that doesn't adress the issue, it just makes it more complicated.
doggy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 9:29:14 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Unique input key? Where can I find that? As far as I can see, there is only input name and input number available.

Thy can be found in the API XML which is here whe vMix is running http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/

Also
https://www.vmix.com/help24/DeveloperAPI.html
thanks 1 user thanked doggy for this useful post.
fwieland on 6/17/2021(UTC)
fwieland  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 9:59:42 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Unique input key? Where can I find that? As far as I can see, there is only input name and input number available.

Thy can be found in the API XML which is here whe vMix is running http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/

Also
https://www.vmix.com/help24/DeveloperAPI.html

Very nice.! That's what I was looking for. And this ID stays with the input, also when appending inputs to a preset? And they can be used in Companion and Central Control to adress an input?
pm  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 10:02:13 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)

Unique input key? Where can I find that? As far as I can see, there is only input name and input number available. Those aro both not unique keys. Input names and numbers can be changed, UID's never change, that's why I am asking for it.
Of course you could do it through a script, but that doesn't adress the issue, it just makes it more complicated.

I think you're wrong.

By default shortcuts and activators are linked to the unique id of the input, never to the name. You have the option to link it to the input number by selecting "Assign ... to Input Number".

In layers it's always the unique id. And in Outputs / NDI / SRT it's always the number.
fwieland  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2021 10:16:26 PM(UTC)
fwieland

Switzerland

Originally Posted by: pm Go to Quoted Post

I think you're wrong.

By default shortcuts and activators are linked to the unique id of the input, never to the name. You have the option to link it to the input number by selecting "Assign ... to Input Number".

In layers it's always the unique id. And in Outputs / NDI / SRT it's always the number.

That's probably right for the vMix shortcuts, since they also change when changing the input name. But not with Companion. If you change the input name, Companion shortcuts won^t work anymore. I just tried using the UID in Companion instead of the namwe and it actualy works. So basicaly my request has already been fullfilled :-)
The question remains, if the UID stays permanent when appending inputs, but I can find that out for myself.
Thank's for the helpful feedback to everybody.