logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
majorsky  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 8:11:15 PM(UTC)
majorsky

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey

I've wondered why the T-Bar is such a prominent control element on video switchers / controllers.

I hardly remember when there where tv shows with transitions any other then a cut. Is it just for
nostalgia or didn't I get some of the magic of it's presence in a normal live broadcasting workflow?

thanks for enlightening me! :-)
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:40:31 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
If people managed to keep the T-bar alive after all these years, I give them a tip of my hat. They have way more pull than I ever could.

The short answer is that it gives you the ability to control the length and execution of your transition without having to come up with a quantifiable number on the fly.

A few examples:

The obituary type story. Need a couple slow dissolves, slower than what's set as your auto transition rate? Use the T-bar. Need a super slow fade to black? Put black in preview and go slowly on the T-bar.

Musical performances: dissolves are much more appropriate for the slow songs and using the T-bar allows you to go with the flow of the song without figuring out a number. The T-bar dissolve tends to feel less linear and less mechanical due to our natural tendency to not want to break off the T-bar on the end stop.

Start dissolve and hold: it's super easy to do with a T-bar. Start pulling and then stop where you want it. It's nice and artsy for musical performances when you have two offset camera shots (like with two different musicians) and want to blend them in for a bit and then fully transition seamlessly.

At the end of the day, there is still art and aesthetics to production, and the T-bar is an appropriate nod to that in a world that is increasingly programmatic.
thanks 1 user thanked Babbit for this useful post.
majorsky on 6/15/2021(UTC)
Joeboe  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 12:59:52 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Babbit Go to Quoted Post
If people managed to keep the T-bar alive after all these years, I give them a tip of my hat. They have way more pull than I ever could.

The short answer is that it gives you the ability to control the length and execution of your transition without having to come up with a quantifiable number on the fly.

A few examples:

The obituary type story. Need a couple slow dissolves, slower than what's set as your auto transition rate? Use the T-bar. Need a super slow fade to black? Put black in preview and go slowly on the T-bar.

Musical performances: dissolves are much more appropriate for the slow songs and using the T-bar allows you to go with the flow of the song without figuring out a number. The T-bar dissolve tends to feel less linear and less mechanical due to our natural tendency to not want to break off the T-bar on the end stop.

Start dissolve and hold: it's super easy to do with a T-bar. Start pulling and then stop where you want it. It's nice and artsy for musical performances when you have two offset camera shots (like with two different musicians) and want to blend them in for a bit and then fully transition seamlessly.

At the end of the day, there is still art and aesthetics to production, and the T-bar is an appropriate nod to that in a world that is increasingly programmatic.

The "T" Bar is a very useful tool....I use it a lot to do multi-cam mixes, and control slow dissolves.....I do not know why vMix has theirs as a left to right, and retracts automatic....very stupid idea to retract....if those at vMix ever check a production mixer, they would see that a "T" Bar stays in place when moved....that is why I am using Panel Builder, as it has what I want and does what I want.....so in my settings, I remove the "T" bar from my layout...hate the "T" bar in the vMix UI

thanks 1 user thanked Joeboe for this useful post.
Babbit  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 1:07:30 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
The "T" Bar is a very useful tool....I use it a lot to do multi-cam mixes, and control slow dissolves.....I do not know why vMix has theirs as a left to right, and retracts automatic....very stupid idea to retract....if those at vMix ever check a production mixer, they would see that a "T" Bar stays in place when moved....that is why I am using Panel Builder, as it has what I want and does what I want.....so in my settings, I remove the "T" bar from my layout...hate the "T" bar in the vMix UI

I feel like trying to mouse a T-bar is asking for trouble, but if it works well for others, who am I to judge. I never thought about the bar snapping back when it finished, but it does strike me as odd now that you mention it.

I set up the slider on my X-touch Mini to work as a T-bar, but I have to remember to run it once before a show or else it does this weird snappy thing where it sort of starts a dissolve and then snaps back to the original source.

mavik  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 3:13:35 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I also use the T-Bar a lot. You have a slate at the beginning for instance and want to show a bit of content until it really start.
Joeboe  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 3:38:25 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Use the Panel Builder, and you will have a "T" Bar that works like any hardware "T" bar.....it stays where you stop and does not snap back....and, it is vertical, like a real "T" Bar...
thanks 1 user thanked Joeboe for this useful post.
majorsky  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 7:29:18 AM(UTC)
majorsky

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Use the Panel Builder, and you will have a "T" Bar that works like any hardware "T" bar.....it stays where you stop and does not snap back....and, it is vertical, like a real "T" Bar...

but i guess it doesn't work with shortcuts?
Joeboe  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 9:32:59 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Why would you want a short cut for a "T" bar?.... a "T" bar should be a manual thing....and if vMix programmers would make the "T" bar react with its effects, I would understand....but you can not select an effect in vmix, and then use the "T" bar to transition, it transitions as soon as you select the effect, which is not how other apps do it....select an effect, and then hit 'auto', or 'take' for the transition to take.....that is where the "T" bar comes in very effective...
Babbit  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 1:17:36 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Why would you want a short cut for a "T" bar?.... a "T" bar should be a manual thing....and if vMix programmers would make the "T" bar react with its effects, I would understand....but you can not select an effect in vmix, and then use the "T" bar to transition, it transitions as soon as you select the effect, which is not how other apps do it....select an effect, and then hit 'auto', or 'take' for the transition to take.....that is where the "T" bar comes in very effective...

You do use a shortcut if you want to make your own T-bar on a MIDI controller. That's what I use the single fader for on the X-touch Mini.
Joeboe  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2021 10:30:34 PM(UTC)
Joeboe

I do not use hardware switchers, I use software only, as it is easier for me...

Here is one of my Panel Builder Templates: check the "T" Bar