logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hypohamish  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 7:03:52 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would absolutely love for an actual 'Duplicate' input function, rather than the Virtual input function.

Primarily, this is just so inputs can be duplicated without having that 'Virtual' tag get in the way.

Secondarily, would allow you to have a duplicated input that won't be affected if you close the first one.

I can't be the only one who has a lot of similar layouts/inputs in a preset that just require minor tweaks (I.e. a 2 Cam + Graphic layout, but the 2 cam need to be changed in a different version of the input).

Yes, I can just make virtual inputs & change the multiview layers to what I want - but this leaves the unsightly 'Virtual - ' tacked on to the front of all of my inputs.

The functionality to duplicate is already there - just please add a dedicated button for it, and tweak it so it creates one with zero ties to what it came from!
Chap  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 11:01:37 PM(UTC)
Chap

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
+1
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:27:27 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
You are certainly not the only one. I doubt this will be implemented though. Even seemingly small additional features, like this one, is by now rather complicated as the complexity of vMix has grown over the years.

And, in this case, the quick workaround is to Change the Virtual Input after it has been created. That will get rid of the "Virtual" and loose its connection with the original Input.
Advance Concepts, Inc.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 2:37:46 AM(UTC)
Advance Concepts, Inc.

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The workaround I use is to just make a new blank input (or whatever you want your Main layer to be), go to MV layers, and "copy from" the desired input. No unsightly "virtual" label!
Hypohamish  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2021 8:12:19 AM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Advance Concepts, Inc. Go to Quoted Post
The workaround I use is to just make a new blank input (or whatever you want your Main layer to be), go to MV layers, and "copy from" the desired input. No unsightly "virtual" label!

Yeah, I do this too if I have the time, it's just a lot more steps and clicks to go through!

The duplicate button literally just needs to do those steps for you of copying the existing multiview layers and crops to a new input.
SydneySound  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 14, 2021 8:39:25 AM(UTC)
SydneySound

Australia

+1

the disaster is - if you delete (close) the original input ( if your using this as your background image for example) - you loose the image from your virtual inputs.... if you use the undo close button - the original input returns however the reference to the input is not reinstated on the virtual inputs.

Ouch.

I guess creating a new image input as a background and copying the layers ( using copy from") to the new input is safer.... but slower...

the real life situation is when you have an input live with pips ( layers) added to it and your presenter moved left or right - you need to re-crop but not in the program feed ( audience will see it) - you want to crop in preview or blind then send it to program.

Its one of the most common moves we make while streaming ( we mostly use Livestream studio for this feature). Especially now with so many virtual inputs / remote guests....

I have just read you can decouple the virtual input from the original by changing the name (read above in the forum) - I will test this however not sure there...

so at least a DUPLICAT INPUT option would allow the safe duplicate/ edit/ push to preview/push to program / then delete the original layer to minimise junk inputs in the list.