logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josemite  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:18:44 AM(UTC)
Josemite

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I bring in a lot of video clips on the fly during a production & I send these to a sized small box in a corner (to look like it's displayed on a flat-screen TV on a wall). I'll use these clips a few times and occasionally right click on the Overlay to bring these out to full-screen.

The problem: This works well enough, except when an image has a less than ideal aspect ratio. As the overlay border box resizes to the media instead of the constraints of the input. So, if you crop the input, the border doesn't adhere to this change. Even if you don't use the border box, the cropping is very hard to get into the exact location. Where using an Overlay is hard to get this exact position too, but at least you really only have to do it once.

My workaround: I keep a small video editing program open. I drag the media into that, resize it and encode and then drag it into vMix. Which is faster than configuring a Multi View, Virtual Set & Virtual Inputs to show this new media how I want. Virtual Sets seem ideal, but it's harder to trigger clips as quickly as an Overlay, especially when you have hundreds of inputs and you're trying to find the right one in a Virtual Set setup/layer/list without thumbnails.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, there is a much better way than what I am doing.

snapoid  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 4:10:49 PM(UTC)
snapoid

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1. May be create check-box in overlay (multiview) size settings to fix dimensions. As example - when i send 16:9 input to overlay - it normal, but when i send 4:3 input - it whil be resized to fixed overlay size.