logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buffos  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 4:00:10 AM(UTC)
buffos

Groups: Registered
Greece

I do the following

1) Have a camera input (ie from webcam)
2) Create a simple title (second entry)
3) Create a multiview (blank and add the 2 previous as layers).
4) Add the resulting composite in a multiview (a caller window in a multiview)

Now.

a) Zoom, Pan, Borders work fine.
b) Cropping does not work.

Now why I want to do that.

I want to be able to create a "Caller Output", that I can use in small or larger boxes, and turn on and off the title when I want with shortcuts.

I tried adding the title in the original input (camera) as a layer.
Cropping works, but ONLY to the main input, so still it cannot be used.

Creating a virtual camera from the layer also would not work (both not cropping, and not updating when turning the titles on and off)

Any ideas?

Not cropping looks more like a bug to me.
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:06:48 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
It's always been that way. It's a limit of the software with sub multiviews. The work around in to assign your original multilayer input to a Mix input. Then use that mix input in your second multiview, you will then be able to crop that.
buffos  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:45:55 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

Originally Posted by: Vince Beck Go to Quoted Post
It's always been that way. It's a limit of the software with sub multiviews. The work around in to assign your original multilayer input to a Mix input. Then use that mix input in your second multiview, you will then be able to crop that.

Thank you. The mix workaround seems a weird solution!!

Vince Beck  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 7:50:53 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

If you are familar with After Effects / Premiere, think of it as a Precompose / Nest solution :-)
thanks 1 user thanked Vince Beck for this useful post.
buffos on 5/11/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 8:03:21 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: buffos Go to Quoted Post

Thank you. The mix workaround seems a weird solution!!

A similar weird one is NDI out of that mv and back in as new input

buffos  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:41:55 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

The problem with that is the following.

I have cameras with a Green screen.

So

a) I activate the color key
b) Create a separate input that sets a background at layer 1 and the keyed camera at layer 2

The problem now is that when I have to add it in a multiview set up with windows with different aspect ratios it simply will not work
since crop does not work

Mix Inputs is not a solution, since they are limited to 3 extra. So If you have more that 3 cameras, you are out of luck.
Creating various aspect ratios for each camera IS a solution but a very convoluted one.

What is the suggested workflow for green screens in multiple aspect ratios?
Vince Beck  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:48:07 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

If you have moere than 3 cameras, then you may want to look into a virtual set and switching the input dynamically. Are you putting more than 3 cameras on screen at one time?
buffos  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:05:25 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

If you have moere than 3 cameras, then you may want to look into a virtual set and switching the input dynamically. Are you putting more than 3 cameras on screen at one time?

yes.

The problem with virtual sets is that you cannot have video backgrounds.

I hoped the the virtual camera was collapsing all layers into one (which is quite logical by the way).

For now I am creating multiple versions of the camera (4:3 and 16:9). I do not find any other way to solve that.
Vince Beck  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:13:06 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

I do video backgrounds in virtual sets all the time, where did you run into that issue?
buffos  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 7:26:45 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

I do video backgrounds in virtual sets all the time, where did you run into that issue?

Just tried with virtual sets (VtriBox-MultiTriangle for example since the aspect ratio there is not 16:9)

- Camera 1: 16:9 + add color key to remove green (not using green screen in the test, just to demonstrate the problem)
- Create a second input with 2 inputs (1 the background + 2 the previous step). So now we have our camera with the background

Now attach the camera to slots 1 and 3 and see the problem

It does not work. The camera bleeds into the other camera view. No actual cropping is made.

resulting image
Vince Beck  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 7:34:46 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

That's correct, but that's why I asked if you had more than 3 cameras at once on screen.

You can set a shortcut to change the camera within a Mix and use that same mix with multiple cameras in the same virtual set.
buffos  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 8:29:29 AM(UTC)
buffos

Greece

That's correct, but that's why I asked if you had more than 3 cameras at once on screen.

You can set a shortcut to change the camera within a Mix and use that same mix with multiple cameras in the same virtual set.

I am just trying to create various presets for various cases.

For now, I create a 4:3 and 16:9 for cameras that have green screen and cannot be cropped. although this is more difficult to handle.

probably the easiest way is to create NDI cameras for every camera with a green screen and use that (I guess I will have to use OBS to be able to create as many as I need).
I hoped for a less cpu intensive way to solve that.

Thank you for your help and insight.
Fergy  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 8:40:49 AM(UTC)
Fergy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Not to hijack the thread, but we're in the same scenario as the OP and would love to be able to do this or have a viable workaround if one exists. Slightly different application on our end, but same needs. Mixes don't solve it because we run out of

I'm betting that there are a lot of operators and programmers that are suddenly using Vmix now with the current state of things that would really love to be able to do this. We're in the same situation as the original poster and cannot use mix layers for this due to too many inputs that need to be composited upstream of the final "3rd-tier" multilayer input. We need a "2nd-tier" multilayer input where we can turn layers on and off dynamically and then have that input feed several more "3rd-tier" inputs where scaling and cropping of the composited 2nd-tier input are different in each one. We shouldn't do this on the 1st-tier input due to the multilayers not scaling independently from the Main layer; it makes a mess of things. That "1st tier input is where we would correct color, but not sizing, positioning or crops.

Effectively, we're trying to use the "2nd-tier" inputs to get around the limit of the number of mixes available and create a sort of upstream router that can be automated be external control. To your point regarding number of cameras onscreen at once, we have up to 8, and need an easy way to toggle any of those camera feeds to a headshot or similar with a single button punch that then appears across a lot of different inputs simultaneously.

But, you're saying it's always been that way, and we're now on V24....if there are no crops or positioning changes on the sub multi views, it would be great to be able to do it on the final one. I can't imagine that there aren't more people trying this; it seems to be a common question between all of our local operators.
thanks 1 user thanked Fergy for this useful post.
Heath_G on 5/17/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 5:59:50 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Quote:

But, you're saying it's always been that way, and we're now on V24....if there are no crops or positioning changes on the sub multi views, it would be great to be able to do it on the final one. I can't imagine that there aren't more people trying this; it seems to be a common question between all of our local operators.

Lets be fair, this hasn't been much of an issue pre-Covid.
Covid has shifted the use and demands of vMix a bit requiring a few different needs and options that came to light in the process for some users.
V.24 was already in development (rewrite/focus of some other main parts) but release delayed due to high demand for support with the shift.
Must be a difficult balancing act for development, adapting while not neglecting/undermining the Pre-Covid usage .
Fergy  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 9:31:39 PM(UTC)
Fergy

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post

Quote:

Lets be fair, this hasn't been much of an issue pre-Covid.
Covid has shifted the use and demands of vMix a bit requiring a few different needs and options that came to light in the process for some users.
V.24 was already in development (rewrite/focus of some other main parts) but release delayed due to high demand for support with the shift.
Must be a difficult balancing act for development, adapting while not neglecting/undermining the Pre-Covid usage .

Oh, I can only imagine how the demographics of the users changed, and even the final product output needs. It was a "major pivot" as we've all heard a million times. But it allowed us to keep a lot of people employed and was a lot simpler than setting up full broadcast studios. But, I think it's still worthwhile for the company to hear our needs and how we're trying to implement the product since I imagine the user base, and therefore sales of the product, have increased exponentially.

There are always going to be people pushing your product beyond it's original intentions, and listening to what they are doing with it allows you to make it better, so long as you're not removing functionality for the original users to achieve that.

This issue and question keeps coming up with people I talk with, so as I mentioned, I'm assuming it's an issue with others. It's probably worth the feature request in the proper forums, if it hasn't already been asked.

And just to confirm, there is currently no other workaround other than mix layers or the pre-comp via NDI output trick? Neither of those will work in this scenario.