logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SeanEmer  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 3:04:04 PM(UTC)
SeanEmer

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Out of curiosity I played around with this, but was disappointed to find it doesn't seem to work. I had hoped that it would cause a merge between PVW and PGM inputs using a single common input (the input set in the Stinger setting) as the animated merge. So for example, in Input 1 I might have a set of call boxes and a small logo. In Input 2 I would have a graphics layout and the same small logo. Then, if I set Stinger 1 to the small logo asset and used merge, I'd have hoped that it'd cause the logo to grow to full screen and shrink to the new position as the inputs swap underneath.

That clearly doesn't work. So what's the intended use of merge in the Stinger feature?
doggy  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 5:13:21 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
That is not how merge and stinger works.

if you have 2 layout with a small logo in the same position you will need to make a title with that same logo at the same position that animates this logo (grow and shrink back, pref a image sequence) and use it as a stinger unless you would want to create 3 layouts and merge between all 3 of those but will need extra tricks to change the backlayers to cut

A merge transitions can animated between layouts (if have the same content)
a stinger ( animated preferred) covers up a cut transition
SeanEmer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 12:55:07 AM(UTC)
SeanEmer

United States

Yes, I know how a stinger and the merge transition usually work on their own. My question is why the Stinger setting has Merge as a transition option if that doesn't do anything other than fade.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 2:12:09 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: SeanEmer Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I know how a stinger and the merge transition usually work on their own. My question is why the Stinger setting has Merge as a transition option if that doesn't do anything other than fade.

Will always cut between the 2 inputs behind the stinger
When the stinger is not a GT Title it will apply the effect to the stinger itself. One can in fact use a single image and turn it into a stinger that way say with the zoom effect for example

a bit of trying told me that ;-)

SeanEmer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 2:41:05 AM(UTC)
SeanEmer

United States

I'm aware of all of this, I work with vMix professionally. My question is why Merge is a transition option for Stingers if it doesn't allow you perform a Merge of any type. Is it simply there because it was easier to not code a separate set of transition options for Stingers, or is there some specific situation in which a merge transition for a stinger will actually do something other than default to a fade effect?
doggy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 2:58:55 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Quote:
I work with vMix professionally.

Oh, Sorry

Isn't Merge more like a dissolve <> a fade ?
SeanEmer  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 3:13:36 AM(UTC)
SeanEmer

United States

In a film NLE sense yes, but vMix uses the term Fade to indicate what traditional editors would call a dissolve. Regardless, the Merge transition in vMix usually creates a smooth animation that dynamically updates position, rotation, scale, and crop info for inputs that exist in both the preview and program sources. Since the Merge transition requires a 'synergy' between two separate inputs, I was confused as to why it'd be an allowable transition for a Stinger, which only allows for the use of a single input. Basically it's like offering the option to use two different colors for a single color. It doesn't make sense.
Hypohamish  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2021 7:08:18 PM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SeanEmer Go to Quoted Post
I'd have hoped that it'd cause the logo to grow to full screen and shrink to the new position as the inputs swap underneath.

I don't get what you mean by this. So my understanding

Input 1 - Boxes (i.e. callers) + Small logo in corner
Input 2 - Graphics + same small logo

The stinger is obviously an image sequence that goes full screen, then the transition that you select takes place behind the stinger.

For one - what are you expecting to Merge? Merge will only transform any similarities between the two inputs, in which case, the small logo. If the small logo is in the same place/size on both inputs, it's not going to do anything to t he logo. It can't magically decide to scale it up/down/sideways. I hope that at least on Input 2 the logo is in a different location, in which case yes, you'd see it move across the screen, but it sounds like you've got a serious misunderstanding of what Merge can do.

Using a Merge behind a stinger would most likely be used if you time it correctly with the delay, i.e. you could play the stinger, and time the merge appropriately so that you can see the start/end of the merge taking place or something similar to that. But this will still require something to actually be Merged behind the scenes that you can see taking effect.