logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchellvii  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 4:20:39 PM(UTC)
mitchellvii

Groups: Registered
United States

One of the thing that endlessly frustrates me with vMix are the TERRIBLE photo slideshow animations.

For instance, the overlay FADE animations are very nice. One input fades out, one fades in. Very smooth.

But on a photo slideshow, one fades out and the next slide JERKS in VERY SUDDENLY. It's just awful and ruins the look.

WHY WHY WHY have you written the slideshow animations completely differently than the overlay animations?

Either fix this terrible coding or give us a way to.

Thanks.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 6:04:10 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mitchellvii Go to Quoted Post
One of the thing that endlessly frustrates me with vMix are the TERRIBLE photo slideshow animations.

For instance, the overlay FADE animations are very nice. One input fades out, one fades in. Very smooth.

But on a photo slideshow, one fades out and the next slide JERKS in VERY SUDDENLY. It's just awful and ruins the look.

WHY WHY WHY have you written the slideshow animations completely differently than the overlay animations?

Either fix this terrible coding or give us a way to.

Thanks.

Can you show a recoding of the issue pls ? and maybe the settings and details about the photos?
Might help Martin

Edit FYI i seem to be able to simulate it when the fade time is 2000, not on the shorter times
mitchellvii  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 10:15:57 PM(UTC)
mitchellvii

United States

Why do I need a recording? Anyone who has used the photo slideshow feature on vMix knows that this is the case. Photos animation and Overlay animations are COMPLETELY different. Why not just make Photos animations as smooth as overlay animations? They have intentionally made them different and worse.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 10:25:05 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Why do I need a recording? Anyone who has used the photo slideshow feature on vMix knows that this is the case. Photos animation and Overlay animations are COMPLETELY different. Why not just make Photos animations as smooth as overlay animations? They have intentionally made them different and worse.

Hey i am just trying to help, being rude and making bold accusations is not going to help!
Why would vMix make a lesser quality on purpose ? if there is an issue and is pointed out it can be checked and rectified but not by being a D*** (like in most of your posts so far)

A recording of what happens can prove a point

As i pointed out i noticed a similar issue with long transition time , not the others so there might be a bug
mitchellvii  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 7:42:37 AM(UTC)
mitchellvii

United States

I'm sorry. You must be using the FREE version of vMix. Mine was actually quite expensive and I expect it to work. I also expect staff from the company to answer my technical questions and not some random person with easily hurt feelings.

WHERE THE HELL IS VMIX TECH SUPPORT I PAID FOR???!!!
doggy  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 11:07:54 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

I'm sorry. You must be using the FREE version of vMix. Mine was actually quite expensive and I expect it to work. I also expect staff from the company to answer my technical questions and not some random person with easily hurt feelings.

WHERE THE HELL IS VMIX TECH SUPPORT I PAID FOR???!!!

LOL right

https://www.vmix.com/contact-us.aspx
Vince Beck  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 11:46:38 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Damn, Miami must be hot at this time of the year.
thanks 1 user thanked Vince Beck for this useful post.
doggy on 4/23/2021(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 5:47:14 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@mitchellvii

Buying an expensive car does not mean one can drive it. Even a bicycle requires training and some basic skills. And, if you want other bicyclists to help you its hard if the problem report is "jerky", as that can be caused by many things.

Note, as stated on https://www.vmix.com/support/ this Forum is "an active community of vMix users", not a straight forward channel into vMix's support team. Furthermore, in your original post you broke the rules stated at https://forums.vmix.com/...EASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

Doggy is a very experienced vMix user and ranked "Advanced member". Why bash on him instead of supplying him, and us other users, with additional information concerning your problem. I suspect that you have made an incorrect setting, or use an underpowered system. But again, hard to tell without more info.

/richard
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
AlanZ on 4/23/2021(UTC)
kross  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2021 6:26:38 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Anyone who has used the photo slideshow feature on vMix knows that this is the case.

I use photo slideshow, I have no problems.
kross  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 24, 2021 6:39:09 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 28 post(s)

This suggests to me that vMix is being slow to load the next photo. I can think of a few reasons this could be the case.

1. Using photos that are much too high resolution, and scaling it down to fit the screen. If this is the case, resize the photos in your favorite photo editor to the correct size.
2. Overloaded CPU. What's your CPU utilization look like when this happens?
3. Slow hard drive. Are the photos located on a local drive, or a network share? If local, is it a fast SSD, or a slow spinning hard drive?
cbanter  
#11 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 1:26:47 AM(UTC)
cbanter

United States

I'll post an example.
https://drive.google.com...qA9Fi2A/view?usp=sharing

Excuse the white band on the video. I don't have a release and need to respect privacy, but I think you'll still see the problem clearly.
The photo lingers on the end of some of the fades and then drops off like a cut. And as you'll see it's not all of them. Some are completely clear. This happens to me a lot and I'd love to get it resolved.

It shouldn't be due to a lack of resources.
I'm running vMix Pro from an i9-9900K, with GeForce RTX2060 Gfx Card, and 64GB of RAM.
All media is running on M.2 based SSDs.
These photos are HD resolution or less.
I also just updated to the newest version of vMix (24.0.0.62).
I also tried converting all photos to PNG before import, no affect.
Then, I also tried resizing all photos to 1920x1080 as base resolution before importing, no affect.

Thoughts?
doggy  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 2:26:51 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: cbanter Go to Quoted Post
I'll post an example.
https://drive.google.com...qA9Fi2A/view?usp=sharing

The photo lingers on the end of some of the fades and then drops off like a cut. And as you'll see it's not all of them. Some are completely clear. This happens to me a lot and I'd love to get it resolved.

Thoughts?

It's sort of normal due to the fact the images are in various sizes. The new image fades on top of the old, and when finished the old is removed. You notice it when a smaller image fades on top of a larger one , not the other way round.
Best is to edit the images so they all have the same size , for smaller ones edit them by putting them on a black full frame size image and save as one
CUbe effect for example will not have that "issue"

PS. Thank you for providing a clear example
Barrie Williams  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 4:04:55 PM(UTC)
Barrie Williams

United Kingdom

i can see the problem , and it’s a simple fix.

i’m not going to tell you the fix because i prefer not to reward rudeness , but if you carefully view the video you posted, the answer is in plain sight.

cbanter  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2021 11:54:56 PM(UTC)
cbanter

United States

I'm a new poster to this sub just trying to solve an issue for everyone's benefit. And I'd rather not have to keep editing these in Premiere every time I can't get it to work. If you know the answer, please share. Thanks!
Barrie Williams  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 4:55:34 AM(UTC)
Barrie Williams

United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: cbanter Go to Quoted Post
I'm a new poster to this sub just trying to solve an issue for everyone's benefit. And I'd rather not have to keep editing these in Premiere every time I can't get it to work. If you know the answer, please share. Thanks!

so the issue is that vMix respects the alpha channel , which means that if the current still image is smaller than the previous one, as soon as the fade is finished, the outgoing image is removed. so it pops off .

the solution is to run a batch process on all the slides in the image folder which scales the image and puts it on a solid black background. then resaves the images. this means that all stills are “full screen” even though some of the screen may be/ can be/ will be solid black.

photoshop does this sort of batch processing as do several free image processing programs , it takes less than a second per image to load it, apply the background and re-save . So although it sounds daunting , but it’s automated so it’s dead easy, and very fast.

as with all these things, preparation is the key. So getting the source files in a nice unified shape, size, format etc. is the key to having smooth slideshows. and it will reduce the load on vMix.

i hope this is helpful.
mitchellvii  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 6:26:55 PM(UTC)
mitchellvii

United States

OR, now hear me out...

VMix could make fade-in work like every other software package on the planet and fade the old image out and the new image in.

This would literally take one line of code to fix.

Incomprehensible to me that vMix will not address this. It causes so many issue.

REMEMBER:

Fade in and out works perfectly when changing overlays. Just use that code on the slideshow.

But they don't.
cutter07  
#17 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 9:08:34 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Change the Master Frame Rate to 60i or something else to get smoother fade transitions
cutter07  
#18 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 9:23:27 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Quote:
so the issue is that vMix respects the alpha channel , which means that if the current still image is smaller than the previous one, as soon as the fade is finished, the outgoing image is removed. so it pops off .

Cool this is exactly the problem, thanks.