logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtone  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 5:05:16 PM(UTC)
mtone

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
i am looking at some of the more affordable gaming laptops.. I noticed vMix team suggest getting a model with GSync if possible as it enables direct communication with the GPU and offers "better performance"..

what are the real world effects if you have a laptop without GSync versus one that does have it ? do you still get full output from the GPU or is it limited somehow ? also does having GSync enabled mean the fan is likely to be running a lot more and therefore louder ? any references i see to optimus always mention longer battery time which suggests less power/heat..

i am seeing quite a few models that look good except they dont have GSync so im trying to work out how much effort i should put into finding a model that supports it.. if its only a small performance benefit id rather look at an optimus laptop and have all the extra choices available.. if the performance increase is substantial though it would make sense to look harder for a GSync model..
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 9:56:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mtone

It depends how you are using vMix.
The "biggest" or most observable performance improvements will be with screen captures from the same computer (observable glitches and/or dropped frames), otherwise, you are not likely to actually perceive the difference even though your system technically will.
https://www.vmix.com/kno...roves-laptop-performance

Ice
mtone  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 12:09:12 AM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
i suppose the question is a bit vague to really know the answer.. it would be good if there was something that illustrated the difference to know if its worth the trouble.. the problem comes down to how many choices are available that fit all (or most) of what you want.. adding GSync as a necessary feature seems to narrow the options a lot more..

There is an Asus TUF model that seems to have everything i was looking at (including GSync) but its got four highlighted keys which makes it look weird/goofy IMO.. im guessing they are gaming shortcuts, pity they dont offer some replacement keys in the box to switch them out cause its otherwise a decent model for specs/price..

these days laptops seem to have been reduced to two categories either portability or gaming.. most portable models dont have ethernet, GPUs or upgradable and meanwhile gaming laptops all have this teenage aesthetic with rainbow colours and sci fi contours, images of aliens/dragons etc..