logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cswa  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:41:09 AM(UTC)
Cswa

Groups: Registered
United States

When I use latest version of vMix with my Logitech webcams the first webcam works fine, but the second one loads and eventually freezes with the same frame visible forever. When I use two different webcams, this does NOT happen. I can run one of my logitech Brios through the Logi-Capture software, but I have to set up vMix first AND load one Brio first, otherwise I get a camera unavailable issue. The Logitech-Capture software doesn't seem to allow the loading of two instances on the same computer; however, it can adjust both cameras, but not stream from both cameras.

I notice that in vMix both Brios have exactly the same name. I can change the name of one of the cameras, but this doesn't help and I still get webcam freeze.

The Logi-Capture Software is a special software that can be downloaded from Logitech for adjusting your webcam. It allow streaming, but ONLY ONE camera at a time, and disallows two instances of the Logi-Capture on the same computer.
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 6:40:19 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I've seen people stream with 2 Brios. I would check all USB ports, you might be drawing too much power from the USB ports if anything else is plugged in there. An LED lit mouse, Keyboard, or a Streamdeck would probbaly be too much without a powered hub on a laptop.
You can also turning off power management in Windows for those USB ports.
Cswa  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 7:14:08 AM(UTC)
Cswa

United States

I am using a "Plugable 7" USB Hub with its own AC-Wall-Wart power. By the way, I can stream with 2 webcams. I also have Papalook webcam and I CAN use both those USB webcams at the same time. Just that the Papalook "burns-out" the highlights, which is its problem. It was a much cheaper webcam. The fact that I CAN use 2 webcams and I CAN use both Brios (but one has to come through its Logi-Capture software) makes me think that this is not a performance-spec issue or USB issue. I suspect it is a software glitch in vMix, but I could be wrong. Both the Logi-Capture and vMix hog the video-stream and refuse to let the other use it. That is why I have to fire up vMix first and hook up one Brio, before firing up Logi-Capture. Then when I fire up Logi-Capture, it can only access the Brio that was not already used by vMix. Then I pipe the Logi-Capture stream through vMix, because vMix sees the Logi-Capture. Logi-Capture is designed to control all Logitech webcams, but it can only stream one-at-a-time. It also does not allow multiple instances.

So I have a glitchy workaround, but am wondering if there is a REAL solution. I also contacted Logitech support as well.
Cswa  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 7:25:53 AM(UTC)
Cswa

United States

OK, I just received a reply from Logitech Support. They say that both webcams are registering as the same device on Windows 10. That is that they both have the same PID (Process ID). This means that vMix or anything else has NO WAY to distinguish between the 2 cameras, thus forcing it to choose one camera and ignore the other.

They suggest that I return one camera for another model, that way they will show as unique devices. Hard to believe that in 2021 there is no way to distinguish 2 of the same peripheral. This is whose responsibility? Probably a lame excuse from Logitech.

This could be a lesson to anyone who wants to try the same approach.
Vince Beck  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 7:36:50 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
That's very odd, a friend of mine uses 2 of them with not issue, I wonder if they are slightly different models after all.
AlanZ  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 10:16:25 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I have had no problem using two Brio cameras on Windows machines.

I am using the Brio MF in the vMix camera selection list.
The MF eliminates the lag in 4K, although it incurs significant cpu usage (12 to 18% per camera because it uses the windows host camera controller)

The cameras are plugged into different usb channels on the machine.

The other thing to note about the MF implementation is that you can’t launch/adjust camera properties (autofocus, exposure, etc.) from within vMix. I usually load Logitech Capture first, make the settings, close that app then load vMix. The two apps can run concurrently but I have seen some stability issues when run together.

Cswa  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 8:13:05 AM(UTC)
Cswa

United States

I have noticed this "Logitech BRIO 1 MF" option on my machine, but I never knew what it was. What does the "MF" stand for? The problem I have is that this option always gives me a "Blank Black Screen." How do you use it?
AlanZ  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 11:42:47 AM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
If I recall correctly the MF refers to the Microsoft Media Framework.

The regular Brio choice uses DirectShow, which introduces quite a bit of lag in 4K.

Assuming that no other program is using your Brio cameras, the first will be called Brio MF, and the second will be Brio 1 MF

You need only set the resolution and frame rate. You can use the default format (I think it comes in as NV12).

As mentioned, you need to use an external program like .Logitech Capture to set things like angle of view, manual focus, etc.