logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DHoude  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 1:18:34 AM(UTC)
DHoude

Groups: Registered
United States

I am experiencing what appears to be a scaling issue with UVmaps. Potentially user error as I am fairly new to them. There is a company that offers Virtual DJ stages. I am able to make a virtual set just fine. But the LED screens are not exact squares/rectangles. So they use a Mask file. I think I understand how to insert the mask into the UVmap layer of the virtual set:

<input name="LEDScreens" x="0" y="0" zoomX="1" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" cropping="0,0,1,1" dynamic="true" uvmap="TechStage#03-00-Screen Mask.png">uvmap1080p.png</input>

But when I bring up the virtual set in vMix, the mask seems anchored to the left (as it should) and scaled-down horizontally. But vertically it is the right size. The mask & backgrounds are the same dimension 1920 x 1080, and were designed to work together. So the edge variations (seen in yellow) of the mask were designed to fit with this background by the company.

I am very hesitant to just "fix it" by exceeding the ZoomX=1. I feel like it is either user error on my part or potentially something wrong that needs to be fixed. The yellow shown below is the "uvmap1080p.png" showing through the mask. But it should, in theory, line up perfectly with the background that has the same exact 1920 x 1080 dimensions, just like the table & top that was also supplied as part of the same set do.

<input name="Background" x="0" y="0" zoomX="1" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" dynamic="True">TechStage#03-L1-BG.png</input>
<input name="Table" x="0" y="0" zoomX="1" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" dynamic="True">TechStage#03-L2-Deck.png</input>
<input name="TableTop" x="0" y="0" zoomX="1" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" dynamic="True">TechStage#03-L3-Deck Guard.png</input>

vMix virtual set mask issue.png (350kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

The only way I can see to make it line up is by using these coordinates. Could that really be right?

<input name="LEDScreens" x="0.332" y="0" zoomX="1.335" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" cropping="0,0,1,1" dynamic="True" uvmap="TechStage#03-00-ScreenMask.png">uvmap1080p.png</input>
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 2:19:16 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 921 time(s) in 760 post(s)
Not easy to say what is wrong without having an idea about the details of sources of the layers or even have a visual of what it is supposed to look like
This also sounds strange : uvmap="TechStage#03-00-Screen Mask.png">uvmap1080p.png</input> and mask in the UVMAP layer ?

FYI a mask is to cover up or parts of something
DHoude  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:15:04 AM(UTC)
DHoude

United States

The "TechStage#03-00-Screen Mask.png" is the Black & White Mask (invisible). The "uvmap1080p.png" is a visual place holder with bright contrast so I can see all edges of the mask to align it to the background. But I also have that layer "dynamic=true" so I can dynamically assign an input. So "uvmap1080p.png" 100% will be reassigned to another input for the show.

It is supposed to look like this. https://virtualdjstages.com/products/tech-stage-3

The green scribblings seen on the manufacturer's pics are what shows through the mask. Which in my pic is Yellow, or the "uvmap1080p.png". Basically, it is supped to emulate LED walls in front of and behind me.

If I Zoom horizontally and then move the X of the mask to align it, I can get close. My problem is, why is only the mask getting scalled? And why only horizontally? To zoom the mask and center it, seems like a bunch of math that does not have to be done when the mask should align perfectly with the other layers it was designed for. They align perfectly in Photoshop.
doggy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:22:44 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Originally Posted by: DHoude Go to Quoted Post
The "TechStage#03-00-Screen Mask.png" is the Black & White Mask (invisible). The "uvmap1080p.png" is a visual place holder with bright contrast so I can see all edges of the mask to align it to the background. But I also have that layer "dynamic=true" so I can dynamically assign an input. So "uvmap1080p.png" 100% will be reassigned to another input for the show.

I believe your are misusing the UVmap "system" !
A uvmap Is a placeholder for the mostly video source you want to see, any masks in this case go on top . Another way is to edit the uvmap and cut out the parts where no video should appear but is pointless as in your example the Studio (map) with its cutouts would overlay it anyways
DHoude  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:40:42 AM(UTC)
DHoude

United States

While waiting on an answer (I know I am off today), I proceeded to see if forcing the scale of the mask to be aligned would work. But it appears as though the reason that you only see the yellow part of the UVmap png is because must be zoomed in as well, on the yellow spot. This is the exact "uvmap1080p.png" from that Virtual set directory.

uvmap1080p.png (4,061kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

The lasers seen behind me on the left, are the same exact input you should see behind me on the right. Instead, behind me just flashes full green when a laser beam passes behind me, and then is invisible until that happens (seen in 2nd pic)

Laser flash
Scaling.png (538kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

Between beams
1.35.14 PM-4-5-2021.png (608kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
DHoude  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 3:43:41 AM(UTC)
DHoude

United States

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DHoude Go to Quoted Post

A uvmap Is a placeholder for the mostly video source you want to see, any masks in this case go on top . Another way is to edit the uvmap and cut out the parts where no video should appear but is pointless as in your example the Studio (map) with its cutouts would overlay it anyways

Thanks, where might the "system" go? I was referencing this given example:

<input name="Background" x="0" y="0" zoomX="1" zoomY="1" rotateX="0" rotateY="0" rotateZ="0" cropping="0,0,1,1" dynamic="true" uvmap="uvmap1080p.png">uvmap1080p.png</input>

doggy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 4:04:26 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Check other uvmap examples or brush up on the few VS videos that are available !

if the "Background video has to cover all of the background then use one map , if needs to be split up for different "monitors" then multiple maps are used to fill those
Each map can then hold a source
PS the DJ layer could also be a UVmap layer ;-)

TechStage.jpg (103kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
doggy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 4:16:29 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

PS as far as i know one can not use a key/fill ( black and white ) mask in a virtual set in the source ( config)
DHoude  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 10:10:47 AM(UTC)
DHoude

United States

if the "Background video has to cover all of the background then use one map , if needs to be split up for different "monitors" then multiple maps are used to fill those
Each map can then hold a source
PS the DJ layer could also be a UVmap layer ;-)

Thanks, I was taking the lazy way out for now. Just a full-screen feed, split by the map, NDI from my Resolume instance on another PC. I could easily split the map up, but I am also using 9 layers already.

As far as the mask, it definitely somewhat works as designed (scaling aside) in vMix too. The screenshots above would have covered all the graphics behind me if the mask did not work that way. I am using the UVmap on top of the background layers and DJ table. I am also up to different ways to do this. I just am newer to vMix and don't know how. I am way more used to Resolume.
DHoude  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 10:57:08 AM(UTC)
DHoude

United States

I think this video explains what you are trying to say.

Where he has maps for each section and not the B&W mask. I think the easier way to do this is going to be to use the mask on the background in Photoshop to make a transparent background in the right areas. Then add the Resolume feed behind that layer. Then I will have to figure something out for the booth in front of me. Or just sum and mask all the layers in Photoshop, and crop my Talent layer.

Always a different way to approach things I guess.