logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Code4Sale  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:41:53 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Feature Request: Quality Control!

On a serious note:

After spending an hour with the latest vMix, I came away with a pretty fair number of sloppy programming bugs that have come to be expected from a vMix major release cycle.

As an example, take the volume control for recording. It simply does not work (at all). If you go to the setup dialog for recording, it will loose whatever my setting was, and get resets to the default, but still, it is worthless, and should have never passed QA.

I have no trouble finding these sort of issues in a very short amount of time, and that leads me believe there is NO QA going on.

I also noticed a fair number of my previously reported "sloppy" bugs had been fixed, however, those should have been fixed as a maintenance release for the previous version, not used for "bragging rights" for the new (major) release. In short, you owe your current customers the working software that they purchased.

vMix major release cycles are starting to feel like VMWare Workstation releases, where they rush a release a new version right before the big trade show, and it is riddled with bugs. Long timer's know to never upgrade until release x.1 or x.2.

Martin, the point is that (again), you really need to clean things up a bit before release. If you do not have the time, then label the release as a beta until you do have the time.

I am not expecting perfection, but I am not expecting slop either, and I do expect reasonable fixes for current versions.

Also, new features are great, but not at the expense of production. For example, while the (much needed) new audio engine shows a lot of promise, you certianly have more work ahead to get the kinks out. In the mean time, here, the 64 bit version quickly proved to unusable for production.

Another example was three of four recordings produced no video when using the 32 bit version. Blank... nothing... nada...

I can't run a business and bank on vMix to get the job done, and if thats the case, well, you cannot bank on it either! Lucky for me, I have one of your competetors to rely on, and I CAN bank on that.

Again, please don't offer me my money back. Instead, make it a goal that you do such a great job, I won't be writing these posts.

Slow down, get more folks helping you test your wares, spend a few more minutes fixing the rough edges, and enjoy the positive feedback you will get for job well done.

admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:56:56 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4156 time(s) in 1493 post(s)
If you encounter any bugs, please submit them to then General Discussion forum including detailed information your system specs, vMix settings etc and they will be taken seriously.
But honestly, how do you expect me to react when you post that vMix is "riddled with bugs" but are unable to provide us with a detailed error report?

With regards to the Volume Control. It only controls audio for custom audio recording sources.
If you are using the vMix Audio source then the master audio mixer is what you need to adjust.

As for the blank video, again, you will need to submit a proper bug report to the General forum.

You are constantly posting negative posts on this forum and making assumptions about how we do things. You say there is no qa going on
despite the fact that we release and test numerous preview versions before the final release. You won't find that sort of open testing going on with any of our competitors.

So consider this your final warning, either come to the table with constructive bug reports with detailed information so I can actually help you or don't both posting at all.
Code4Sale  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:32:47 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

Sorry,

Your latest update sports several fixes for (obvious) bugs that I submitted, that should have never been in a production version of the product.

I did not realize that purchasing the product would mean that you would try to put me to work posting intern level bug reports that should never have passed though your QA testing.

The fact is that I spend more time posting, that you spent testing or fixing.

Dispatching warnings ey? Be careful what you ask for my friend. There are other venues for posting these sort of issues.

In the mean time, I stand by my feature request of "better QA of the product".
admin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 6:49:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4156 time(s) in 1493 post(s)
Code4Sale wrote:
posting intern level bug reports that should never have passed though your QA testing.

Can you provide some examples of these "intern level bugs" in the current production version of vMix? (13.0.0.142)
If there are some obvious things that I have missed, then by all means let me know so I can do better in the future.

Quote:

*sigh*. How is saying something like that in any way constructive? Are you just trying to troll me for your own amusement?
Code4Sale  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:08:43 AM(UTC)
Code4Sale

No, I am far too busy for this, and feel my time and effort have been wasted here, so I am done.

Best of luck with the review.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:27:01 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Code4Sale,

Quality is a subjective term - period. And quality has to be related to the user's/customer's expectations.

From my perspective vMix has excellent quality. In terms of price/value, product support, and overall experience.

But, again from my perspective, I find your postings in this forum to be of very low quality. Actually rather destructive to the forum's purpose, not least to the way you connote (eg "sloppy").

Of course you might not agree. That is is not necessary. I just wanted everybody to know my take on the matter.
Damn2Good4U  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:52:12 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I cannot agree less with RichardGatarski on this issue.

Code4Sale, Yeah! you might not be totally happy with vMix, like we all know, no software or technology can be classified perfect or finished... If you have an issue, I think the best way is to report the bugs for proper investigation and debugging...

Who knows the issues might be coming from your own end... (e.g. software conflicts etc.

Thanks
thecloudmediagroup  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 4:25:28 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Code4Sale wrote:
Feature Request: Quality Control!

On a serious note:

After spending an hour with the latest vMix, I came away with a pretty fair number of sloppy programming bugs that have come to be expected from a vMix major release cycle.

As an example, take the volume control for recording. It simply does not work (at all). If you go to the setup dialog for recording, it will loose whatever my setting was, and get resets to the default, but still, it is worthless, and should have never passed QA.

I have no trouble finding these sort of issues in a very short amount of time, and that leads me believe there is NO QA going on.

I also noticed a fair number of my previously reported "sloppy" bugs had been fixed, however, those should have been fixed as a maintenance release for the previous version, not used for "bragging rights" for the new (major) release. In short, you owe your current customers the working software that they purchased.

vMix major release cycles are starting to feel like VMWare Workstation releases, where they rush a release a new version right before the big trade show, and it is riddled with bugs. Long timer's know to never upgrade until release x.1 or x.2.

Martin, the point is that (again), you really need to clean things up a bit before release. If you do not have the time, then label the release as a beta until you do have the time.

I am not expecting perfection, but I am not expecting slop either, and I do expect reasonable fixes for current versions.

Also, new features are great, but not at the expense of production. For example, while the (much needed) new audio engine shows a lot of promise, you certianly have more work ahead to get the kinks out. In the mean time, here, the 64 bit version quickly proved to unusable for production.

Another example was three of four recordings produced no video when using the 32 bit version. Blank... nothing... nada...

I can't run a business and bank on vMix to get the job done, and if thats the case, well, you cannot bank on it either! Lucky for me, I have one of your competetors to rely on, and I CAN bank on that.

Again, please don't offer me my money back. Instead, make it a goal that you do such a great job, I won't be writing these posts.

Slow down, get more folks helping you test your wares, spend a few more minutes fixing the rough edges, and enjoy the positive feedback you will get for job well done.

With all due respect, I don't believe you have any idea what you are talking about. I have been using vMix for at least 2 years and vMix is solid. We have multiple productions every week and I can promise you that this software is very worthy of public release.

It's works.
It's reliable.
It's awesome.
It's quality

As I write this post, I smile, looking at our current live broadcast session of vMix. vMix is the best of the best. As a provider of live CDN services, I get the calls and emails of software issues from VidBlaster, Wirecast, Tricaster, LiveStream Broadcaster, XSplit, all of em, and I can tell you that vMix spanks them all. Martin and the team have one of the best production teams I have ever worked with.

You are what makes QC a terrible department to work in. Instead of, with politeness and in detail, bring bugs to the developers attention, you come and complain and bully the dev team. It's hard to take you seriously with how incredibly rude and ridiculous you are being. Go to any of the developers forums for any other software and try to get the level of service and support that is offered here. Yoo won't find it.

Quote:

Are you serious? Can you honestly use vMix and deceive yourself into thinking that there is no QC for the software? Either you have never used a computer before or you don't understand what QC is.

Quote:

Yes you are.

Quote:

I can't run a business and bank on vMix to get the job done, and if thats the case, well, you cannot bank on it either!

I run a business and a church media department and it works great.

Quote:

Martin, you guys have done an incredible job with vMix. The quality has been unbelievable and I have never had a better experience with software and support. Keep up the good work. We are so thankful at how hard you work and how prompt you are to reply to emails and deal with issues. You are a blessing.

Quote:

In the mean time, I stand by my feature request of "better QA of the product".

Can I request a feature of having a "common decency" test before being able to use the software? Kind of like a CAPTCHA test?

Quote:

...... You should do standup comedy, you are hilarious.

Quote:

No, I am far too busy for this, and feel my time and effort have been wasted here, so I am done.

Yes, please leave. Your posts are in no way constructive and a waste of time. I have no problem with posting bugs and having issues with software, but I do have a problem people rudely coming onto a developer forum and hurling insults and outlandish accusations.

Martin, kudos to your patience. Keep up the great work!

h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2014 6:24:55 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i find bugs, anoiments and sloppy programming in all kinds of software. it's part of life... I have never encountered support and a community based development with such an outstanding commitment than with vmix.

the bug fixing and feature request handling is one of my main sales arguments when recomending vmix. it is second to none. this software has caracter... reported bugs help us all understand the nature of vmix better - it is driven by the users with better versions comming out every time. I guess you just don't want to live on the edge, then don't complain about it...
stefan