logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LiveP  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2021 7:29:05 PM(UTC)
LiveP

Groups: Registered
Singapore

Hi all,

Just about to get the ubiquiti switch as we are linking 2 machines of vmix to get 16 callers and we require 4 laptops loaded up with NDI studio monitor to pin them on the LED screens

https://store.ui.com/col.../products/usw-pro-24-poe

Anyone has experienced with this switch?

Any settings in specific must i configure once i get the switch.

Understand there is a link online https://help.ptzoptics.c...etwork-for-ptzoptics-ndi

However this link is for the router configurations i believe?

Any specific settings i have to set in the switch?

I will be using a normal gigabit edgerouter (not a 10GBe router)

Thanks all in advance!
Ras72  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 1:46:42 PM(UTC)
Ras72

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello. I have a decent amount of experience managing around 70 networks comprised of Ubiquiti networking gear.

Back when I used an Edgerouter, it was managed exclusively via a web GUI or via command line. I have not used their UNMS solution, so forgive me if that is what you're already used to.

The UniFi line of Ubiquiti gear is meant to be managed by a centralized UniFi Controller. There isn't a GUI for the switch into which you can log in and configure it. You can just plug in a switch and it will trunk all ports and just pass all traffic. But if you're doing anything with VLANs, trying to set passive PoE or just want the statistics and management of the switch, you will need a controller.

In the UniFi Controller, you set the settings for the network as a whole, and have the options to modify things at the switch or switch port level.

If you are going to use the default Multi-TCP of NDI, then there isn't much you'll have to do for the network or the switch. If you are going to use multicast, then you will want to enable IGMP features in the UniFi controller.

That link from ptzoptics is a good one to follow. Especially if you're starting out with Ubiquiti's UniFi line, I highly recommend the controller (you can set it up on your own Ubuntu box if you're into that, or just buy a Cloud Key). I would also get one of their Gateway devices to be the firewall/gateway/DHCP/DNS server if you don't have those roles handled elsewhere. It will make life much easier for you, in my opinion.

That all being said, though I doubt you are starting out with multicast in mind given the installation you describe in your post, *if* you have long-term plans for multicast, I will say that UniFi's implementation of a IGMP feature set is a bit lacking. They know it and there are users in the community that make that point repeatedly to Ubiquiti in the hopes that it will be fixed soon. It'll handle the mDNS communication fine for your NDI Sources and Listeners. But if you go to full-on multicast for your NDI feeds, I recommend you go in another direction for your switch(es).

If you have other questions, I'll be glad to help as best as I can and as time permits.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 9:42:14 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Take a look at netgear. They offer switches for the SDVoE market that relies on multicast. They have also done their own multicast messaging that prevents flooding of network branches. The SDVoE line is a bit expensive. There are other models available as well that have the multicast features available.
On the more inexpensive end take a look at mikrotik. I use a Switch as my router (netgear SDVoE can route as well) with 16x 10G SFP+
aquarat  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2021 7:17:33 AM(UTC)
aquarat

South Africa

I use this switch and it works perfectly. I previously tried using a 24-port Mikrotik switch/router (CRS328) (I love MT products) but unfortunately it seemed to give issues when I connected my vMix machine to the switch via a 10 GbE link. The CPU usage in vMix is generally lower with the Ubiquiti Switch compared to the Mikrotik. The Mikrotik was mostly fine for situations where vMix was connected via a 1 gigabit link or where vMix was only receiving NDI feeds.