logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackiez90  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 3:02:51 AM(UTC)
jackiez90

Groups: Registered

Hey guys, I'm pretty novice with vMix and have a few questions. Not sure if this is the right place to ask though, because it's more about external hardware than vmix itself.

Recently I fell into a few jobs filming live events and with one upcoming event it's absolutely necessary that I provide delayed instant replay at the gate so competitors can see their run after leaving the arena. I've never done this before and I'm next to clueless about what hardware I'll need to pull this off. Someone told me I can run an HDMI cord straight from my computer to an external monitor, but I don't want to put all the recording strain on my computer. Is there a way I could record it to an external SSD and then to the monitor? Could anyone give me insight on what equipment I'd need to do this? Maybe I'm just over thinking it, but any advice I could get would be appreciated.

TIA
Radiotvpat1982  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 2:44:03 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
There are a bunch of great Youtube resources on VMIX and even VMIX replay.

More info is needed in your situation though. Full replay needs a Pro license while a single angle needs a 4K license.

There is also a built-in video delay feature which may be the exact thing you need but separate from standard replay.

As far as capture, it's recommended to have a devoted SSD to record to for replay purposes. It needs to write at a certain speed. Hopefully, this gets you started.
jackiez90  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 5:35:55 AM(UTC)
jackiez90

Radiotvpat1982, thank you for your response. I'm familiar with how to set up the delayed replay in vMix, but I'm not familiar with what equipment I'll need to successfully get the signal from my computer to the external monitor which will be approximately 150' away. With the dedicated SSD, is there a something like a capture device that allows me to run the signal into the ssd and straight to the external monitor? That's where I'm lost. I might be over thinking this too. I've looked all over for the answer and have found tons of info about the software I'll need, but not the hardware.

Thanks again!
Radiotvpat1982  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 8:58:22 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
There are 3 ways to get video from VMIX.

You can use the fullscreen option and make sure you are sending out program but you can do it that way over a graphics card via HDMI, DVI or Display.

The second method is to use an external or internal card. Go to external settings and set that up. Black magic makes a card that has both SDI and HDMI. There are some stand-alone external options there as well.

The last method is NDI. Depending on your license you have both MIX output and options for additional things to become NDI capable. You could use a decoder like a Birddog or a number of new options to do this. It could also be done for free off of a simple laptop and HDMI out of that laptop.

The cool thing about NDI is you can just assign the 2 replay channels to outputs and do it that way.
thanks 1 user thanked Radiotvpat1982 for this useful post.
jackiez90 on 2/11/2021(UTC)
jackiez90  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 10:13:56 AM(UTC)
jackiez90

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help!
I will look into those options!