logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:52:05 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I am using v13.142 on a couple of Win8.1 64 bit machines. I notice a low level, yet annoying, noise coming from the Audio Input to which I feed audio over USB from different Behringer devices. Including a UCA202 and Xenyx 502. I pretty sure it has anything to do with ground loops, it's not that kind of noise. I hear it in vMix headphones fed via Audio Output - Headphone device.

If I send absolutely nothing (input faders all down, or no input cables connected to the mixer) the noise remains. If I click Solo on some other input, eg a Video player, the noise completely disappear. Same thing with Window's default USB audio driver and Behringer's own.

There is no noise when I feed audio from the Behringer devices I have tested from their main out to the PC's line input (and of course change the Audio input's setting in vMix).

So, the noise seems to come from the USB device (driver). Anyone with similar experinces, or ideas on how to fix?

Thanks.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:12:32 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I have seen this in past with different Behringer USB mixers I have used. Googled it and found others with the same issue. Doesn't happen with all my PCs, just some. Different USB h/w maybe?

Temporary fix was to route input/output to PC sound card. No noise.
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:42:45 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Tom!
Will try different USB h/w. (No line input on my laptop)
Len56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:14:29 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
richardgatarski,

I have an Behringer X32 Producer using the built in X-USB card, I have just tried to replicate the problem you are getting doing it exactly the same way as you have done and I got the same results as you I did do one thing you didn't say you tried and that was to delete the input from vMix and the noise went away. I did try turning everything off and listening though my headphones plugged into my X32 and got no sound at all, the sound we are hearing does sound like computer noise of some sought. One other thing I did try was to go into the windows audio playback panel and mute the sound from there and that stopped the noise coming through.

My PC is a windows 7 64bit machine and I have turned off the motherboard audio in the BIOS so that doesn't conflict.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:26:47 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Len56 for the additional info!

Please note that I do not think this has anything to do with vMix. Same noise when I listen to the USB device directly (right-click Window's speaker icon, select Recording devices, and then choose properties for the USB device).

I did try with two other USB audio mixers. First a Yamaha Audiogram 3, which produced somewhat less noise. But it leaked some audio from the mike input, even though that knob was turned all down. Then an Alesis MultiMix 4 USB, about the same noise as my Behringers. In addition the Alessi added a hissing noise (discussed in reviews on the web).

I found that I could reduce the noise by reducing the level for Master input mix (see image below), but then of course the audio levels became too low in vMix. Gaining it up in vMix consequently put the noise back.

My general feeling is that the USB signal level is too low, giving too much room for moise. In other words a bad S/N ratio.
Kind of stuck here now...
richardgatarski attached the following image(s):
behringer_noise_2014-08-13.png (31kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Len56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:03:55 PM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
HI richardgatarski,

Have you tried turning off the audio card on the BIOS to see if that makes any difference?
I used to have a M-Audio Delta 66 PCI Audio in my machine and that conflicted with the motherboard audio and gave me a hissing noise until I turned the motherboard audio off.

I have listened to my X32 X-USB card though the Line in properties with vMix closed and it is quiet no hissing or noises.
Also do you get any funny noises when you move your mouse like scratching noises I have a laptop that does that, I found out it was a bad power supply, when I unplugged the power supply the noises went away, I used to run a disco with 800watt Mackie speakers and it used to sound really bad.

Len.
Luc Henrion  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:35:10 PM(UTC)
Luc Henrion

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You "shouldn't" do that - for evident security reasons... -, but removing the earth pin from a laptop "switching" PSU usually cures the problem. Tested and approved on my 4 laptops...
hogwam  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 4:09:46 AM(UTC)
hogwam

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've experienced the same noise phenomenon from audio devices on laptops when the charger is connected. As soon as you remove the charger from the laptop, the noise goes.
That goes for internal/onboard line-in too, not just USB audio devices.
Can't say I've tried with an ExpressCard sound device on a laptop though.
Never had the problem with a Desktop.
Bardos  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 7:14:46 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Never remove that ground lug from you devices..they were placed there for a very important reason.......What I do, is pass my audio through a direct box....I have the Whirlwind Imp-2, and that does it for me....it has a ground lift switch on it, so I can determine which position works.....plus it filters other noises, that may leak in ....

works for me...
richardgatarski  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:51:55 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

PLEASE NOTE AGAIN, this has NOTHING to do with ground loop noise.

By now I have reached the conclusion that Window's USB audio device driver, in combination with the PC's hardware, might induce a little noise somewhere in the chain. How much moise seems to differ on different PC configurations.

My solution for each PC is to attach the USB audio mixer, turn all it's inputs to 0 (no signal, no preamp), monitor in headphones what goes into vMix, and adjust the device driver's "Pin line input mix" in the properties as described in my August 13 post above. That is, reduce the level of that mix until the noise can't be heard. Typically that happens sometimes between 60% and 10%.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
sinc747 on 10/2/2014(UTC)