logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ragtec  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2021 9:23:58 AM(UTC)
Ragtec

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Hi,

In April last year I started using Vmix - loved it and bought the 4K version. I am streaming at 720p to youtube and whilst there are 6 main vmix callers regularly leading, we typically have 2 or 3 incoming vmix callers each sunday for a large church service.

The quality was excellent - I had most vmixcallers literally staying green for an hour or more at 720p/30fps and the lowest ones were around 540p and I'm sure due to webcam/processor restrictions.

In december, quality dropped to the point I'm lucky to get video at 180p and it is nearly always orange. frame rate between 0.5fps - 3fps typically. These are the same callers in the same locations on the same machines!

my connection is around 46Mbps down, 15Mbps up and very stable on test using speedtest.net
Typically the vmixcallers connections are over 50mbps down, 16mbps up, again stable on test. All connect via ethernet cable to their router, and I've had some disconnect all other devices and turn off wifi during the service - no gain in quality though! Callers use Chrome as instructed, but I've also tried safari and edge. Same issue in all cases.

My host VMix machine is fairly powerful having an i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 32G RAM at DDR4 3600Mhz, GTX1660 Super with 6Gb - CPU load typically less than 6%, GPU mem usually about 35%, render time never above 9ms usually around 6ms.

I've tried using my laptop with C920 webcam on a MiFi dongle here and I got solid 720p for over an hour. I took that machine and camera to one of the callers houses, and on her broadband (72Mb down, 18M up) - I get 160p max and the framerate is around 2fps!

I've now also tried using Vmix HD on the other machines as a call client, and everywhere I do this (there are three locations where we've had the worship band livestreaming in to me using Vmix to Vmix to get better audio) I get a pretty stable 720p. Yet, if I try to do Vmixcall or advanced.vmixcall through chrome at these locations, the quality is poor.

I have tried using zoom, but the added latency of going through a second computer caused a number of issues on handovers that were smooth as silk last year

I welcome all ideas - thanks folks
Andy
mikenor  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 1:42:31 PM(UTC)
mikenor

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Network guy here. I haven't looked at vMix Call in a while so I'm probably misremembering some specifics, but are you using the "only allow direct connections" (or whatever it's called) option? If you are/aren't, maybe were you (not) before?

Find the public IP of both computers and ping them from each other. What is the ping like - slow, fast, stable, erratic? Try with various packet sizes as well.

Are you on the same ISP, or different providers are involved?