logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikesg  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2021 8:33:32 AM(UTC)
mikesg

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have VMix and PTZ Optics cameras connected via POE ethernet/NDI. The idea of running new cables out to each camera for an overpriced light bothers me.

I'm thinking of a device where the ethernet cable going into the camera could instead be plugged into a tally light, with a secondary port on the light to the camera. It's basically plugged in-line with the camera. This is how many POE VoIP phones are retro fitted to offices so a desktop computer can still be wired. As long as the POE draw is within the switch's capability, this should work. My cameras report to only use 7W of power, just under half of what an 802.3af port is capable of. Then a controller box could just be on the network like the cameras and VMix computer. Does anything like this exist? Think church setup, visible from the stage. Cam distance is about 50-60' from speaker.

I'm looking at cuebi lights, but I'm not sure that would be very visible from the stage and I'm a little meh on making this wireless.
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2021 3:39:13 PM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
As much as I hate WiFi myself, I think it's going to give you the least amount of grief in terms of integration.

I have a couple of these M5-StickC units with this code.

They are remarkably responsive. It makes sense since it's really not a whole lot of data to deal with. The LED and display are eye-searing bright at full tilt.

You might even be able to power them off the USB port on the cameras themselves.

It's a shame that the cameras don't have any external tally output. That would make life a lot easier.

Most prompter systems have you slap an optical sensor in front of a built in tally light to trigger theirs, but the PTZOptics LED might not be bright enough. Those sensors also tend to be fickle over time.

I haven't seen anything that serves as a NDI to GPO bridge. It's essentially a Raspberry Pi or better at every camera at that point. Personally, I would deal with the WiFi over the potential to mess up my NDI output with an inline device.
thanks 1 user thanked Babbit for this useful post.
mikesg on 2/6/2021(UTC)
mikesg  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2021 2:33:37 AM(UTC)
mikesg

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks! Saw a brief video on YouTube with dead links using a competing board. But this is documented so at least I know I can complete the build. Appreciate the reply!