logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twokingsfilms  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2021 1:21:45 PM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've done 10 broadcasts using my current preset. For what it's worth, I have had this issue happen with other presets, but I'm using only this preset as a quantifiable sample size.

Of those 10 broadcasts I have had the following occur on 5 of them: (If it matters it was broadcasts 1, 3, 6, 7 and 10)

Mid-broadcast vMix will suddenly crash and instantly restart.

The time of the crash happens seemingly randomly. Sometimes it's 15 min in, sometimes it's 40. It is basically 1 crash and then...that's it. It doesn't seem to happen again.

I have let this preset run for extended periods of time outside of broadcast and it never crashes. It ONLY crashes mid-show...which, ya know, is real swell.

I use an external encoder (AJA Helo) if that matters -- but the AJE Helo has no issues, it just keeps broadcasting (black screen at that point).

I have sent a number of error reports to vMix and Martin seems to think I have a graphics card issue, but I have stress-tested it numerous times AND replaced it. But still...same issue...(insert shrug emoji)

My question is, has this ever happened to anyone else and/or does anyone have any recommendations to try and fix this? It's obviously super frustrating because I can seemingly only duplicate it by broadcasting.

Thanks in advance everyone!
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2021 2:49:56 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
It will definitely be a graphics card issue, as the error shows the graphics card itself is hanging.
So if you have replaced the graphics card then unfortunately that means likely another component is faulty.
Likely culprits will be motherboard, power supply or possible memory.

Ras72  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2021 2:02:53 PM(UTC)
Ras72

United States

Curious - did this get resolved? If so, what was the culprit and ultimate solution?
twokingsfilms  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 2, 2021 5:28:06 AM(UTC)
twokingsfilms

United States

So far I haven't been able to resolve it, but here's what I think I know...

The crashes and accompanying restarts don't happen all of the time (as I mentioned). I actually have a number of very different presets for multiple different styles of broadcasts.

Some of these presets NEVER have this issue...while others obviously do -- the odd thing is, it's not consistent. I can't seem to find a common thread. So here's my best guess:

Per Martin I more than likely have a hardware issue that is causing this to happen. The problem is I can't seem to identify which piece of hardware it is, as it could be pretty much anything. My best guess is that the presets that are affected are on the more "intense" side of things (more inputs, videos, etc) so the issue only crops up on those presets -- but truthfully that's just a guess.

I'm currently rebuilding that particular preset from scratch in the hopes of avoiding that issue (the show took a pause after my last post).

I also have a new PC purchase on the way (some weeks out) that will hopefully move me past all of this regardless if my rebuilt preset works or not.
Stream Breeze  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2021 4:05:46 AM(UTC)
Stream Breeze

You don't mention what graphics card initially had the problem or what you replaced it with. I would have to guess a thermal problem or the Power supply on the system can't deliver enough power when the card needs it, I have seen this happen on a system when pushed hard.