logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2021 9:07:03 PM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm working on getting set up with a VMIX system running on AWS instance, which is going ok, I have it running and am able to vmixcall etc.

I have recently set up the APC mini to control my local system with activators and shortcuts etc.
I want to apply this configuration to the remote server as well.

I have tried RTPmidi (as I've had this working from my mac to the local vmix machine) but I cant get it work for the remote instance - I have connected to the local session from the remote VMIX instance but the port that RTPmidi would have set up on the remote machine is not showing up in Vmix midi connections.
I have had some experience in using it to send MIDI over internet before, so I know it can be done.

Is there a trick to it, or another way to make this work, or some additional step as its running on Windows Server 2019 rather than Windows 10?

I've looked at Central Control, but it requires a separate set of MIDI mappings and I want to make this portable through the Activators, which will configure the buttons on the APC how I want on a per VMIX project basis.

What are the options?

UPDATE: Turns out there's an obscure gotcha when connecting via Remote Desktop - if you enable the PC sound on your local machine, the ports are all virtualised and the remote machine cannot access them. So in your remote desktop connection, set the sound option to remote PC. And viola, RTPMIDI port is there.
So I just successfully ran some tests with the APC mini connected to my mac, routed the MIDI to and from the network midi session using an app called MIDI Patchbay and the whole thing worked exactly as if I was running it locally - activators also worked.
Recorded he output to Google Drive desktop folder which is installed on the remote machine and the recording was available almost instantly.
Effectively I ran it all from my Mac!
nowski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2021 2:50:40 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
An update, I tried Virtualhere.com which does see my OSX machine and the Akai, but wont let me attach it sadly - some kind of OS mismatch...