logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CrimsonAvenger  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:48:34 PM(UTC)
CrimsonAvenger

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We produce remotely, so host and guest are both using vMix call to connect into our AWS hosted vMix.

If both are talking at the same time, ie over each other, the audio mashes up. You can’t hear what both are saying. There’s a clash.

They’re both wearing headphones, and using proper microphones.

So why is the audio still crapping on itself?
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2021 2:33:24 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You don't provide enough info to offer any real insight. Ideally, you'd link to some sample we could examine.

That said, vMix Call relies upon the browsers for audio handling, and your guests hardware.

The browser performs gain control, noise reduction and echo cancellation. Sometimes they get confused and do a bad job.

If your guests are connected over Wi-Fi network variability can make this worse. If they have lots of programs running, so their computer is working hard, it can make things worse.

Finally, some USB audio devices suffer a problem when audio is flowing both ways (in & out) at the same time. The technical term for this is "doubletalk." Doubletalk is not normal in regular conversation, but can occur when people are very animated. With some USB headsets, the microphone audio can be degraded when there's also sound being heard in the earpieces.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 2/2/2021(UTC)
mavik  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2021 5:37:15 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Make sure the audio routing for the host is correct. You can make use of the buses to do a more custom mix. I do this setup regularly and I found it most easy if I as the host assign a bus for me exclusively (Bus A). With the routing I can select what I hear. If route callers onto bus B make sure you are routed to that bus as well. Then audio should be fine.