logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:54:44 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi vmix users,

for a small formfactor system i am testing the yuan duo hdmi capturecards, as also listed on the hardware support page of vmix.

the cards are the sc510n2-L hdmi and provide two separate hdmi inputs in a low profile pcie 4* slot.

i am testing them in combination with a bm mini recorder, thus giving me thee hdmi inputs of which one can be used as a sdi input on a small standard machine based on an amd a10 with integrated gpu.

so far so good and i have noticed these cards to be able to capture up to 60p 1080. this is extremely handy when higher framerates are desired or as in my case i want to capture a screen output with a powerpoint or something when desktopcapture is not an option.

i also noticed that i can view an image even when settings are not optimal. the bm cards will just give you black, but the yuan will give an image. by looking at the stats in vmix it is easy to see what settings to adjust ( dropped frames - framerate to low ...).

i will now continue testing for long periods to see if any frames will be dropped and or if heat production is an issue ( i had to ditch the extra fan i installed..).

pricewise these cards are an alternative for magewell cards, and bm does not have duo hdmi low profile capture cards...

keep you updated...
greetings, stefan

TVIason  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:44:09 AM(UTC)
TVIason

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
English:
From wich reseller did You bought them to ship them in to Europe. I can't find a reseller that ships to the Netherlands?

NL:

Hoe heeft u hem in Nederland gekregen. Ik kan namelijk nergens een reseller vinden.

Iason
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:26:46 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Lason.

i ordered them direct from yuan. if you want i can order some more. just let me know and send me a mail.

stefan.
LG  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:44:39 AM(UTC)
LG

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:
hi vmix users,

for a small formfactor system i am testing the yuan duo hdmi capturecards, as also listed on the hardware support page of vmix.

the cards are the sc510n2-L hdmi and provide two separate hdmi inputs in a low profile pcie 4* slot.

i am testing them in combination with a bm mini recorder, thus giving me thee hdmi inputs of which one can be used as a sdi input on a small standard machine based on an amd a10 with integrated gpu.

so far so good and i have noticed these cards to be able to capture up to 60p 1080. this is extremely handy when higher framerates are desired or as in my case i want to capture a screen output with a powerpoint or something when desktopcapture is not an option.

i also noticed that i can view an image even when settings are not optimal. the bm cards will just give you black, but the yuan will give an image. by looking at the stats in vmix it is easy to see what settings to adjust ( dropped frames - framerate to low ...).

i will now continue testing for long periods to see if any frames will be dropped and or if heat production is an issue ( i had to ditch the extra fan i installed..).

pricewise these cards are an alternative for magewell cards, and bm does not have duo hdmi low profile capture cards...

keep you updated...
greetings, stefan

pricewise what do these cards go for?
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:26:12 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Stefan,
Interesting project! What resolution and frame rate are you aiming for,
And what about graphics card?
Thanks.
jmcmniku  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:59:15 PM(UTC)
jmcmniku

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
TVIason wrote:
English:
From wich reseller did You bought them to ship them in to Europe. I can't find a reseller that ships to the Netherlands?

NL:

Hoe heeft u hem in Nederland gekregen. Ik kan namelijk nergens een reseller vinden.

Iason

Hi Iason.
We can ship to NL from Stockholm. Send an email to info(at)jmc.se and I'll give you price & conditions.

//Markku
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:24:21 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Richard,

i use an Amd A10 processor with integrated gpu. i record 1080p25 with 2 or 3 active inputs at 1080p25. 16gb ram and 120gb ssd. occasionally i also use a bm shuttle for an external out. i can also record on usb3 portable hdd. usually in mpeg2 1080p25 at 8 or 16 mbit. but mp4 is possible.

cpu will run typically at 25% recording.

if i want to record and stream at the same time cpu will run at 80% . in case of high stream quality i use a seperate system for streaming and recording.

stefan

richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:51:02 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks for sharing Stefan!

Wild shot, what if you reduce the resolution on the stream (and of course External vMix video device first)? Will that reduce CPU usage? (going from 50p to 25 on streamer surely reduce)
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:58:31 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi Richard,

with amd i can run a program to monitor ans set clockspeeds and everythifng. one of my systems uses a chip i can overclock, but to use it in a steaming session and with recording and everything i underclock the voltage going to the cpu. this will reduce heat production, with no significant effect on performance.

what i can also see is what the gpu is doing. most of the work is done here especially when recording mpeg4.

the gpu is using the ram and is also depending on ram speed. my small formfactor a10 system is using 16 gb 1600 mz ram my larger system using 3200 mhz ... this will increase performance and this can be seen because cpu performance is not affected that much.

ok: recording mp4 is more cpu intensive and yesterady i ran a test recording cineform in film mode2... very intensive. fmle is also heavy on cpu.

but vmix runs mostly on the gpu, and capture is handled by the cards

(correct me if i am wrong Martin...)

i am ver pleased with vmix performance running. on AMD A10 line of chips with integrated gpu. this also has the benefit of leaving a free slot for capture cards.
intel is picking up very fast, i have a latest apple macbook pro retina with intel i7 and integrated iris pro gpu hd5400 or something... this line of cpu/gpu combinations is picking up very fast.

but an AMD based system is much cheaper on motherboard, cpu, memory and the fact that fast memory benefits gpu performance thus vmix performance...

recording in 50p i hardly do, because: a. i have no camera's that output 50p and b i have no cards that can capture 50p - up until this week when i received the yuan cards and recorded 60p screen input. i see no significant reduction in cpu performance with or without 60p input. i guess because this is mainly handled by the card and not by vmix....
greetings, stefan