logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Brazner  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2021 10:34:11 AM(UTC)
Bob Brazner

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm considering multiple PTZ cameras each with multiple virtual inputs (presets). I plan to use Preview to select my next transition. However, if one of the presets of a given camera is in Output, then attempting Preview of any of that camera's other presets will be immediately reflected in Output, which for our purposes would be production no-no. Is there some way to alert me prior to selecting a camera's preset if one of it's sister presets is already in Output?
mtone  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2021 2:38:00 PM(UTC)
mtone

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
pretty sure the answer is currently no.. there is a feature request for a solution also..

https://forums.vmix.com/...-Camera-is-on-the-Output
Bob Brazner  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 5:06:06 AM(UTC)
Bob Brazner

United States

Thanks mtone. I added my +1 plus extra comments to the feature request topic you provided.

I'll delete this topic.
matkeane  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 9:37:41 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The only workaround I found is to use a controller - in my case a Streamdeck - with activators on all shots which use the same camera, so that they all show in red when that camera is live. It does mean you need to key an eye on the buttons as well as your multiview though, so it's not a great workaround, I'll admit.
Bob Brazner  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2021 5:31:52 AM(UTC)
Bob Brazner

United States

Oh geez, I hadn't even thought about multiview. That adds another layer of complexity to the problem. I like matkeane's activator approach. In my perfect world, vMix would impose a big, red exclamation point center screen in all the presets, and a blinking one on the active preset.
matkeane  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2021 9:18:11 PM(UTC)
matkeane

France

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Well until there is an automatic solution, I guess you could show/hide a layer with a big red exclamation mark in each input using the same camera - but it would mean a fait bit of shortcut programming with the Streamdeck. You could even use Streamdeck internal commands to hide/deactivate buttons that would cause an unwanted PTZ movement, but there's probably a simpler solution...

I found a bit of spatial organisation helped a lot - virtual inputs using the same camera were grouped in the same column, on both the Streamdeck buttons and in the multiview display. So if you've cued any input in column 1, you need to switch to another column (and camera) before you select a different input in column 1. Works pretty well, even without looking at the activators - if your finger is on a button in column 1, use another finger in another column before you move to another row in column 1.
thanks 1 user thanked matkeane for this useful post.
Bob Brazner on 1/25/2021(UTC)
Bob Brazner  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2021 7:21:23 AM(UTC)
Bob Brazner

United States

The following seems like it would solve some of my issues and I'm looking for someone to confirm/refute my thinking: When I create multiple angles (presets) on a PTZ camera, I could also re-input the camera a second time but not configure PTZ for it. Selecting this non=PTZ version of the camera to Preview should show me where it's currently pointed, right? And, a multiview input that includes this non-PTZ version of the camera should show the current position of that camera, right? If confirmed on both counts, I could then create my triggers only on inputs that use the non-PTZ version of the camera. This would allow me to freely hit my triggers without fear they will cause unintended movement of a live PTZ camera in Output. Finally, I could then move all my PTZ presets to a color tab that I normally don't have in view, leaving in main view only the inputs that are based on non-PTZ cameras. If I really need to repoint a PTZ camera, I would first be forced to opening the color tab, and that should be enough to put me on notice that I need to be careful in what I select next. Yes/no?
dmwkr  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2021 7:31:03 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bob Brazner Go to Quoted Post
When I create multiple angles (presets) on a PTZ camera, I could also re-input the camera a second time but not configure PTZ for it. Selecting this non=PTZ version of the camera to Preview should show me where it's currently pointed, right? And, a multiview input that includes this non-PTZ version of the camera should show the current position of that camera, right?

That's what the original input of your camera already does. No need to re-input it, if I have understood you correctly.
Bob Brazner  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2021 7:28:10 AM(UTC)
Bob Brazner

United States

So, you're saying only the created inputs (from the "create input at this position" button) are PTZ. but the original is not. That's indeed good news, and thanks for pointing this out.