logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
webdewd  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2021 5:51:12 AM(UTC)
webdewd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Greetings, my first post here...

I would like to know if anyone has or can make a time title (widget?) that rotates through all 4 timezones while I broadcast. I am new to GT so I have no idea how to do this. I would love to have the title wait 20 to 30 seconds after each time it switches zones ... please? thank you!! This would look SO professional!

Take care,
Dave
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 1:53:51 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
It won't be the easiest thing in the world, but it's still doable. You'll have to resort to some scripting since the differing time zones throws a wrench into things.

When you create your GT title, you'll want to have a text field with animations set up on the DataChangeIn and DataChangeOut events on that specific field (i.e. DataChangeIn(yourfield.text) in the dropdown menu). Remember the name of that field (i.e. myTime).

Add the GT title to your vMix project. Name the input to something you like (i.e. myTimeInput).

Add the following script to your vMix project (in the settings section). You'll need to reference a few things and tweak as you like:

Code:
'Variables we need to set values here for function
dim Input as String = "myTimeInput" 'Input Name of GT Title
dim Field as String = "myTime" 'Field Name Being Changed in GT Title
dim Format as String = "h:mm tt" 'Designated Time format 
dim d as Integer = 5000 'Pause between changing times in milliseconds

'Variables that we will change on each instance of use
dim tz as String 'Time Zone Abbreviation
dim Offset as Integer 'Hours difference from UTC for Time Zone

Do While True

Offset = -5
tz = "EST"
API.Function("SetText", Input, DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(Offset).ToString(Format)+" "+tz,, Field+".Text")
Sleep(d)

Offset = -6
tz = "CST"
API.Function("SetText", Input, DateTime.UtcNow.AddHours(Offset).ToString(Format)+" "+tz,, Field+".Text")
Sleep(d)

Offset = -7
tz = "MST"
Sleep(d)

Loop

Save the script. Remember the name of the script!

Go back into the settings of the input you added for your GT title, and add an OnOverlayIn trigger with a ScriptStart function, referencing the name of the script. For tidiness, I also recommend adding an OnOverlayOut trigger with a ScriptStop function so that it doesn't run unnecessarily.

When you overlay your title, it will activate the script and change the value of the text field to different times at your specified interval. Since you added OnDataChange(field.text) animations to that text field, it will animate each time the time changes.

There are a couple gotchas with this script. For one, you'll look quite silly if you attempt to display seconds, since it's not constantly updating the time during each time zone display. And on a related note, if you set the interval between updates quite high, it will also create perceivable inaccuracies for a similar reason.

It's a little daunting, but take advantage of the various tutorials on YouTube and the help documentation if certain things don't make sense... barring most of the code, of course.
thanks 2 users thanked Babbit for this useful post.
stevespaw on 1/8/2021(UTC), monamiga on 7/26/2021(UTC)
doggy  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 4:28:01 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Might also consider having 4 "pages" each displaying a timezone time and rotate those pages within the title
Babbit  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 4:43:51 AM(UTC)
Babbit

United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Might also consider having 4 "pages" each displaying a timezone time and rotate those pages within the title

It's definitely an option depending on how fancy you want to get with the design. That flexibility is what makes GT pretty slick, especially considering the price tag.

I think you're still dependent on a script whatever way you approach it. I couldn't find a way around it.