logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2021 12:10:36 AM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Groups: Registered
Man
Australia

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Guys,

Looking at building a Azrock X300 small PC for basic one or two camera operations.

Want to: Record, Stream 1 Camera replay or 2 cameras one PC Capture and record/ stream

So went looking for a Ryzen AM4 chip under 65watt.

3400G and 3600 work. The G is cheaper / slower CPU but apparently the G means RX Vega 11 Graphics.

I found some gaming comparisons that RX Vega 11 Graphics is on par with 1050 (not sure if I trust them)

Anyone have suggestions or has built something similar?

Thanks

Mike
Vince Beck  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2021 5:25:53 AM(UTC)
Vince Beck

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
From a reliability standpoint, if you are building a new system, I would stick to the reference systems listed here since they have been tested and will tell you roughly how many inputs they can run.
thanks 1 user thanked Vince Beck for this useful post.
sinc747 on 1/13/2021(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2021 9:45:50 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Thanks Vince... I know about the reference systems, however they are too physically big and expensive for such a small use case.

We have big vMix rack PCs for the larger shows, but I need to build for the small one or two camera use case. No use cracking a small nut with a steamroller :)

Ill have one of these in a few days. Ill report back how it goes...
KJ4AWR  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 5:00:40 AM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I recently did a build using the ryzen 3 3200G a decent SSD and not much more additionally. I used the Gigabyte Aorus B450 mini itx board and it only has 8GB of RAM. I haven't done any replay on the system, but here is what I have done:
-nearly 40 inputs, including 15 virtual inputs controlling ptz on a camera
-2 camera inputs via NDI and RTSP
-6 datasources a mix of JSON, XML and Excel
-an xbox controller used for ptz control on the fly as well
-20+ titles which are dynamic based on those datasources

All this while streaming to youtube and output to 3 monitors and recording and it never breaks a sweat.

So, can that system work for you, possibly, I can't speak to instant replay, but as for the rest I'm doing and with ease. It maybe good to stick with a reference system as well as that has been far more extensively checked out by vMix. My story is anecdotal, but true, and works great for me.
eduardocfs  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2021 6:47:15 AM(UTC)
eduardocfs

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 6 post(s)
KJ4AWR, could you send here some photos of The PC, task manager graphics and vMix screen showing The performance?
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 11:39:21 AM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

Thanks KJ4AWR, very useful to have a APU build... Ill be testing up to 2 camera SDI replay hopefully this afternoon.

So I found the answer the hard way... the AMD Chips that don't specify they have graphics dont... I got a AMD R5 3600... it does not work with my X300. I am picking up a AMD R5 3400G this afternoon that should work.

No problem Ill use the R5 3600 for another vMix build :) Can never have too many.
KJ4AWR  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 1:01:15 PM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Originally Posted by: eduardocfs Go to Quoted Post
KJ4AWR, could you send here some photos of The PC, task manager graphics and vMix screen showing The performance?

Yeah, next time I'm at the building for maintenance I'll get a picture. Most of the work I do is done remote, so I will get the screen shots that way.

This is the case I got : https://www.amazon.com/g...ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

KJ4AWR  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 1:04:31 PM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Originally Posted by: aircooled76@gmail.com Go to Quoted Post
Thanks KJ4AWR, very useful to have a APU build... Ill be testing up to 2 camera SDI replay hopefully this afternoon.

So I found the answer the hard way... the AMD Chips that don't specify they have graphics dont... I got a AMD R5 3600... it does not work with my X300. I am picking up a AMD R5 3400G this afternoon that should work.

No problem Ill use the R5 3600 for another vMix build :) Can never have too many.

Ha, yep, only the processors ending in G have the graphics. I almost got the 3400G for another build, but I'm hoping to wait for the 5000 series G chips.. Which I don't know if they announced today at CES or not. I'm hoping there are a couple of new ones.
aircooled76@gmail.com  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 10:22:48 PM(UTC)
aircooled76@gmail.com

Man
Australia

OK So I have my X300 and a 3400G chip. Yuan High Tech M.2 capture card with 2 SDI inputs. Have 2 x 8gb 2133mhz ddr4 sticks

I set it up to Record, stream at 1080 p 59.97

CPU was reading about 30-40%.

Added a single camera replay and played back at 100% Speed CPU 50-60%.

When I added a second input the CPU went to about 70 and if I added that second camera to the replay machine it maxed out the CPU.

It has been running solid for about 4 hours with the single input and single camera replay and still going.

The option to set the record to hardware encode was available and I selected it. No option for hardware encode on the stream end.

Seems to be solid and do a single camera stream. I think it would handle a 2 camera production and stream/ record without much trouble. I am going to get some faster RAM tomorrow as that apparently increases the performance of the APUs. Ill keep you posted. Definitely interested in a 5000 APU with the "G" Ill report back with more info once I have done some more scenario testing.
KJ4AWR  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 2:20:24 PM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Originally Posted by: eduardocfs Go to Quoted Post

See attached images here:

btw @aircooled76 - Did you set the GPU Memory allocation in the BIOS? by default it is a VERY small amount, so since this computer I built only has 8GB RAM I set it to 1GB dedicated to the GPU

I also realized that I didn't mention earlier that I'm streaming at 720p vs 1080, I haven't tried 1080 as the lower was good enough. I may try later with 1080 settings to see the difference.
kross  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 9:50:48 AM(UTC)
kross

United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I recently upgraded my small form factor build from an AMD Ryzen 2400G to a Ryzen 4750G. It was a really nice upgrade. 8 cores instead of the 4 cores of the 2400G. I can do 4 cameras, with instant replay, recording, and streaming using the built-in graphics. Because this is a small form factor build, the one single PCIe slot is used for a 4-port capture card, not a graphics card.

vMix can use GPU encoding for recording, but not streaming (or instant replay recording). For streaming encoding, I set the preset to "ultrafast", which reduces the CPU load. Hopefully vMix will someday support AMD GPU encoding for streaming as well as recording. But hey, at least it supports it for recording. Something is better than nothing.