logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
-TA_  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2021 11:27:38 PM(UTC)
-TA_

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have Boya BY-WM8-Pro wireless lavalier mic set (2 transmitters one receiver. Its set to stereo transmit
so one transmitter is left channel and other right. This is connected to DESKTOPs mic in plug (pink)
and I can control channels as separate mono in vMix audio (cable is TRRS between receiver and pc).
So I can choose which one transmitter to send live.

But when I set same setup to LAPTOP separation won´t work anymore. I have a splitter cable attached to
laptops plug (mic + headphones) and it should be also TRRS plug (atleast 3 rings and tip).

Can´t find any setting from laptops audio which could help. Is this by design how laptops audio interface is designed or
am I missing something ?
Babbit  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2021 2:00:00 AM(UTC)
Babbit

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
TRRS in its proper glory as a combo headphones and mic connector will provide stereo headphones and mono mic. It may be working on your desktop because you're plugging TRRS into a TRS jack.

It's really a tossup how laptops implement their multi-function capabilities on that single connector. But it is likely a TRRS jack, and things are lining up differently than you expect.

On my Dell Latitude, it asks what device you plugged in when you connect something to the jack. That may give stereo mic functionality, but I've never tried it. I would expect that it would want to see a TRS plug configuration at that point for it to work properly.

If you want to eliminate the guesswork, a dual channel USB audio interface plus a cable that splits the TRRS out to individual connectors for the mics is your best bet. You may get slight improvements in audio quality as well since those onboard connections can be a bit noisy.